cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

What does your dentist charge???

Not batching, just comparing......Mine gets $200 for cleaning, exam, and xrays. Around $900-$1000 for a crown. Is that comparable ??? Last year was sent to an endodontist for some type of specialized work and my arm still hurts from that one.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: What does your dentist charge???

Sounds about right to me.  You are right about the endodontist.  He did a root canal, then I got a new 4-unit bridge...all for roughly 6 grand.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I had a cleaning, a chipped tooth fixed, and the normal exam.  I told them I had a high-deductable insurance plan, and asked if they gave a cash discount.  They said they'd give me quite a discount, if I just paid the bill, and turned it into my insurance myself, and save them the paperwork.  It came out to $189.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My dentist charges less for the cleaning. He now gives twenty percent discount for cash. Not sure if I like that or not? But he cut his staff to one person too. Of course I like paying less but what is he turning in?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I just changed dentists.  Filled one cavity for $140.  Your prices sound about right.  My BIL is a dentist and from talking with them, I think they tend to go off some "general" guidelines.  Not price fixing, mind you, b ut surprisingly similar.

We can get cheaper dental care by using the local universtiy dental school.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The last crown i had put on was like 720 to fix but about 2 or 3 years ago , i broke a tooth ---- right up front ! boy i could spit water threw it for 5 feet !  This was right at the beginning of planting season , wife kept telling it looked bad and needed to GET it FIXED , like yesterday , Well i would just laugh , then the guys on ag web started calling me a gap tooth - crossbred -- hillbilly !!!!! boy them guys are mean on there , lol Well can't remeber all  that he did -- it was alot , but bill was like 2,500 bucks .

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Here a cleaning is a right arm. An x ray and filling is a left arm and a right leg. Don't even ask what happens if you are late with payment.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

BTW, When I moved my young family to this area, we found a dentist and became regular customers.  We all had 6 month checkups and followed the dentists advice well (well, except me).  For years, the dentist would send us a bill and we'd promptly send a check.  A couple of years ago the dentist front staff started pressing for on-the-spot payment.  These are the same faced that opened my check every month and it was never late.  When I changed dentists, I asked about their policies up front and they also want money on the spot.  Must be a lot orf deadbeats in this world, but I'm not one of them and it offends me.  But, I'm getting to be a grumpy old man.

I only have a few real teeth left in my head and they charge me as much for a cleaning as if I had 32.  Kind of irks me because my cleaning takes about 5 minutes.

My wife used to be a dental lab tech (makes teeth) and she can tell you that the markup on denture work is at least double and often more.  She just shakes her head at what I'm billed for work on my partial.

A number of my relatives are dentists and do quite well financially.  It has better hours and less liabliity than human or animal doctors, and it's getting to where it has excellent pay.

I guess I'm venting a little but in my opinion the rates for most medical care are kept artificially high by collusion.  I didn't say there is price fixing, but I think there is the next thing to it.  But, don't get me started on gasoline prices.  When is the last time we had a gas war?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Lost an old filling a few weeks ago.  Had a chip on the same tooth.  Finally got in to the Dentist yesterday.  Paid cash.  $190 for x-ray, filling and a bit of grinding.........and novocain.  Seemed like enough.  KenJ

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Cleaning, xrays, and check up today was $127

0 Kudos