cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

What`s the plan for next year?

More beans?  Go Scotch on inputs? Mortgage another 80 and swing for the bleachers one more time?  Quit?   Business as usual?

Don`t you dare feel bad, imagine facing it with a probable 2/3rds of a crop.

0 Kudos
43 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: What`s the plan for next year?

Waiting  for  our  China  Ambassador  to  get  export's  go'en ,   again,    maybe  -  then  a  new  pick  &  roll  type  bail  out  check ? 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Also,  waiting  for  the  down  draft  of  our  21'st  century  Smoote - Hawley  Act  events  come  to  pass -  maybe  ?  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

"waiting for Superman"?   That`s a good one.  Donner`s Pass here we come.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Donner   -  Pass  ,  wait  untill  November  -  then hike  across,  like  in 1846,  I  think  your  on  to  something - - -   

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I'll do what I do every year.  Plan to grow a crop as inexpensively as possible, but not skimp on input.  Try to sell it for as much as I can get.

Develop a marketing plan early and adjust it as necessary.  Put some sales orders on, probably way high at first, but sometimes they get hit.

Hedge to the max at a price I can live with if I can get it, hedge something even if the price is not good.

Like always, I will NOT be in the farm program.

Business as usual.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

If prices stay where they are or lower, there will be less dollars to put in next years crop.  If one doesn`t tap into other sources of funds, hard decisions will have to be made.   If you are debt free and are your own landlord, you can just "charge yourself" less rent and so long as that income source doesn`t cramp your standard of living.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hope that this is just an attempt to change the fall election results because all of our inventory sales are set at higher prices until then.

Hope this attempt fails to change election results. (The only folks who have ever tampered with election results are those trying to get elected and it will go on as it has)

If  so we may see dollars stop racing into the futures markets to drive prices down in the fall.  Jan. Feb. Mar. 19 is probably our best opportunity to recover honorable markets.

If not we will negotiate with our end user buyers to see if we have a "living wage" price for production in 2019 before we make the decision to plant what in 2019.

I see no other choices...... It is a game of chicken...... 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Do you really think producers have been selling the last three weeks at these prices?  

Those futures sales are speculative and probably considered a cheap investment on a political scale.

Futures markets are open game now.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Leaves  one  wondering  what  the  early -  prepay  deals  are  getting  discussion ?

0 Kudos