cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

What semi truck and trailer are you using?

With semi trucks getting more popular on the farm, I was just curious what you guys were running? I bought an International 8600 with a CAT C-12 engine about a month ago. I'm still looking for a good hopper bottom to go with it. Lots of Timptes and Wilsons on the road near me. I like going against the grain just a little bit, so I'm looking at a couple Merritts. I know this is not pressing farm business, but it's good natured AG transportation talk. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: What semi truck and trailer are you using?

1  -  Look for corrosion by 5th wheel plate & cross members - expensive to address ---

2- Stressssss by huck-rivet  areas ---

3 - Low mile trailers are not always the best bet - due to leaving the ( steep drive ways) field, fully loaded front to back are a interesting venture--- 

4 - Air Ride is  a plus +++++

5 - Trailers maintenance can be the regular neglected item,  while the used market retail $$$$ pricing will tip one off to resale value down the line ---    

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Used freightliner day cabs. Former rsc rental tractors/ Timpte grain trailers
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Mack 613 day cab

Steel Mauer 38'

Both bought south of the winter continuous salt the roads line.

0 Kudos
Advisor

International 9100 daycab with Cat C12 southern rental and Timpte aluminum 42 ft. trailer. 

Shorter trailer would be better for most field drives onto township roads.  I had to redo some of mine.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I will probably stick to trying to buy a 42ft trailer so I can legally bridge 80,000 pounds with my shorter wheelbase truck.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

1  more  hint - don't mess the the horse power settings on the  C-12 ,  just  say'n --- 

0 Kudos