cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dweezeel
Veteran Reader

What will a farmer pay you to do?

So I live in a large farming community in northern Utah, I don't have money to start a farm yet. But was wondering what a farmer would pay to have done once to a few times a year I can make a business out of? Like is there some specialized equipment that's not used enough to justify one farmer to buy, but if I buy I can take to multiple farms. Or any ideas on a start up business? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: What will a farmer pay you to do?

Manure pumping, hay baling, soil sampling.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Good post, B A Deere. Nt.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Market grain for farmers.      You might get everyone's business..............once.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Most midwestern jobs are heavy equipment operators, irrigation repairmen, or fence builders.

Idaho is the same.... not many potatoes dug by hand any more.

And unfortunately workers who show up once or just a few times are common and easy to find........... and no one wants one.

If you are looking to start a farming business that can be profitable as a part time venture...... Most agriculture related businesses take years to become pofitable

The old midwestern "family" grain farming scenario is my background (and I will live long enough to see it disappear) --- In that style of farming, even with only a couple of crops and one small livestock venture, takes 4 to 5 years of full time work to understand.  And only 5 years of absence to need reeducating. The pactices and processes change that fast.--(technology and economics)

Otherwise plant a nice large garden in the back yard and train yourself to harvest, preserve and store every crop planted.  The find a financial market for each item (charging yourself for each thing consumed at home) in order to reward yourself for your investment, water, fertilizer, seed, and all labor.  Care for at least two pets that do not come inside, breed and sell offspring or slaughter for consumption or sale at a profit.

The principle is the same.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Might be better to consider something that doesn't require a large capital investment (for example, big or specialized equipment).  Of course, some specialized equipment can be rented (small excavators, skid-steers) until one has the business going, then buy.  Tiling guys and bulldozer guys always seem busy.  This area no longer has readily available and reliable people to do general farm building repairs, like repairs after significant wind or storms -- the good ones don't seem to want to do repairs, they just want you to tear it down and start over.  Whatever you do, so long as there's a market, treat people right, and don't price-gouge, and things should work out.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

One thing I would do (and still might) is if you have a backhoe do those odd jobs like finding and digging up a small tile line.  Because the big reliable tilers don`t have much time on a job other than above $20,000.  Then they soak you a fee for moving to a site, all kinds of nickel & dime, but a small guy could probably find a lot of "$500 jobs" more than he could handle.   But I don`t know how much tiling there is in Idaho, probably clean up old building sites and such.

There was a get rich gimmick a few years ago with spreading chicken litter and I mean, those that got in early got rich quick.  Couple brothers and dad had 4690 old beast 4wd Case tractors spreading and within about 3 years they all three had brand new shiny John Deeres with all the latest GPS variable rate gizmos.  But now they all moved on so the bloom must`ve left the rose.  

It seems some new venture makes a lot of money and the more that hear about it and get on the bandwagon, then it loses it`s luster.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

bingo....

BA you win the powerball/ how to survive bonus...

I love in a gas/oil area.  A guy who's good with a backhoe or a ditcher has always been in demand.

I got a friend who became an electrician while a backhoe got him started. Second generation electrician company now and one of western ks best. Still keeping a hoe and ditcher busy.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Feedlot   outfits  are  advertising   $ 30,000.oo  /  year  in  various  Kansas   locations  -    -    -

Hog  outfits  $14.oo  /  hour  various  plains  states  -    -   -  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Farms in w ks will pay 14 to $15 per hour on up to 70 hours a week.

That should be viewed as good pay for on the job training.

Within 2 to 3 years you will be ready to manage a farm with unlimited potential.......(up or down)

Ive spent a couple of decades trying to help young farm workers through that process.  

The problem always sways on the issue of risk. Most don't want to leave the guarantee of income.

Most of the new trendy nitch markets (including organic) expect usda to guarantee success one way or another..

Someone will think "doesn't government do that for commercial farmers already?"  .......... Continuing decline and failures of small farms for the last 50 years says no they don't.  And they won't save the new startup nitch farms either... but there will be words...

0 Kudos