cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Wheat-Beans double crop

I wasn't sure where to post this but since it invlolves $$$ I did it here.  I could double crop beans after wheat successfully on an annual basis if I had 2 more weeks in the season.  Preferably getting the wheat off 2 weeks sooner.  Last year the wheat came off the end of June because of the high temps I believe.  But that's the 1st time I've seen that here.  Usually it's the second week of July.  I was wondering if anyone knows of any plant breeding being done for a shorter season wheat.  Corn and beans are doing well with shorter season varieties.  30 years ago we tried to be done harvesting by Thanksgiving whereas now many are done by Halloween. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wheat-Beans double crop

Winter rape is about 2 weeks earlier than wheat.  Therefore always thought if we had a good destination and they tweaked the varieties so they better winter hardiness, it would be a sure winner.  Twenty years or so ago I noticed a few odd fields for a few years, but none recently.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I always thought Barley would be a good fit for that kind of plan. Problem is finding a market that pays well for it. If you had a guy following the combine with a baler..you could even bale the straw up and sell it to those pond owners for algae control.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Advisor

I have never heard of that being raised anywhere near here in NW Ohio.  Where are you located?

0 Kudos
Advisor

Something will come along to fit in our area to double crop with beans as long as grain supplies are so tight.  I went to Bucyrus yesterday.  Does the farmer that twin rows his wheat live right across Rt. 19 from the big field wheat is planted in this year?

0 Kudos
Advisor

If you're talking about a big spread back off the road on the west side just south of Green Springs..that's owned by Todd Meyer..owner of Meyer Construction...obviously by the looks of it..money is no object...LOL

0 Kudos
Advisor

I'm thinking there was some canola (rapeseed) raised right along St. Rt. 19 between Green Springs and Republic about 15-20 years ago. I passed it all the time going to the races at Attica every week. I believe the big problem with it..was market, there just didn't seem to be anywhere to get rid of it without excessive transportation costs.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I remember reading a number of years ago about work being done to intercrop beans into growing wheat before harvest.   Is any body still doing any of that ?  Obviously you have to plan when wheat plantingby leaving some skip rows or some such thing.  I don't remember how much time they gained vs. planting after wheat harvest.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Yes I know the place you are talking about.  The farm I'm talking about is on the east side of the road and the wheat field is directly across the road on the west side.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Attica opens in  just a few weeks.

0 Kudos