cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Wheat-Beans double crop

Theres a guy trying it south of me.  Pupdaddy knows more about it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Central Illinois, which would be basically west of your location.  As Pupdaddy commented with a limited local market transportation is a concern.  Forgot about seeding beans in growing wheat which could work well.  Didn't know barley was earlier than wheat and I suspect crop husbandry would be similar to wheat making it more attractive than rape/canola.  As Pup said, barley straw can have a ready market but grain outlets are still a concern.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Over the past 30 years various guys have tried double cropping.  Beans after wheat and interplanted.  They do it a year or 2 and stop.   I was surprised as early as the wheat came off this year that I didn't see any double cropping.  It seems like around here the growing key shuts off around Labor Day.  I figure August 25th is the last day rain will do us any good for beans.

0 Kudos
blunkie
Friend

I saw your post and I understand the importance of that extra "TWO WEEK" gro;wing season for second crop beans.  In Watseka, Illinois we have a farmer Jeff Hopkins who doublecrops beans after wheat.  He harvests his wheat intentionally at 17 per cent plus moisture and dries his wheat in his bins using corn stoves from Illinois Corn Stoves, Inc.  He does so without using any propane.

He uses a stripper head on his combine.

He gets yields similar to his regular beans and he is planting his doublecrop beans close to when alot of guys are planting their wheat.  He says the stripper head and the corn stove are the keys.  Since our elevator will not take wheat at this moisture the corn stove solves the problem.  I will acknowledge that I make the corn stove but no other corn stove could be used because they do not get hot enough.  I will put you in touch with Jeff if you desire.                   Jim Blunk  815  785-6257

0 Kudos