cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: When Marketers Impose Restrictive Farm Practices

SW, I never did a 'contract farm', who I worked with, were honest individuals, who agreed to pay me an extra 25 cents a bushel for non-GMO corn, or a little extra for the calves without implants, on a per pound basis, which brought them to about the same overall price per head, as a heavier implanted calf would have brought in the open market.

The calf guy doesn't buy any more, and the corn guy has enough ground rented on his own now, he doesn't need my corn, but both deals were done on a handshake basis, and I never was shorted, and I don't believe I ever gave them an inferior product.  Those kind of people are getting hard to find, anymore.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Oh I got ya,,, I have done similar....  that/s just the way things should be..

Dad grew up spending some time in potato and barley country, where there were 5 contracts out there for 3 positions... and if you were late yours sat in storage unsellable.... because they were tied up by contract....yet unpaid until used,,,, if ever at all..  or they got sold or stolen out the back door.

a rough business.... in the late 30's 

Your right,,, the general public doesn't carry much honor,,,, my wife and I were just having a discussion on this -- siting a few examples-- and came to this.. Is it really changed or just human nature..... Or were we just lucky to live have some special neighbors?

It is a lot about Parents and family...

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

On the bright side, I found a new grain buyer, who deals in handshakes and his word.  I don't get a bonus over the elevator in town, but I have only half the distance to haul, and he doesn't charge drying fees.   He said he would much rather deal with 5-6 guys like me with 1-2 pivots, over 1 guy with 10 pivots.   Says that we don't try to hide bad corn, under good, or say that they have X bushels to sell, only to come up short when prices rise (can get more at the elevator) and extra when prices go down, expecting the same price for the overrun as the bid for the bulk of the bushels.  It never ceases to amaze me, for what price some people will sell their integrety.

0 Kudos