cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Where is your business in the Net.

While congress debates regulating a college social media program that went "viral", where are you and your farm when it comes to social media?

As private investigators, identity theft crooks, and preditors harvest the information handed out by our family and neighbors are you comfortable?

How do you regulate what is available?  It is not secure in any way, and it is complete with photos with photo identity notes.  

If you set up purchasing with EBay, Apple or Amazon is it any more secure?  When considered in conjunction with social media maybe not, because after all the primary function of every online company is the gathering and profiting from information gathered..... the sale of stuff is just the bait in many cases.

Congress......... do we end up with a bureaucracy similar to China, empowered by protecting its begging innocent citizens?  

It seems to me that the real problem here is that government in the beginning, swallowed the bait totally by dumped its data and your personal information into the internet cesspool.   Interesting how those "open records" laws fit into the World wide Webb accessibility to those who can.

My Bank is struggling with it.  It is a bit comical to see what is passed as "internet banking" and occasionally shocking to see a bank that will accept a picture of a check for deposit and no verification by home bank  or a falsified internet check against an unverified account.

As we discuss the leaving signatures off credit card receipts, it appears we have abandoned that security form already since most of the world is using similar scribbles or straight lines.  I check signatures daily from our employees on purchase orders and invoices ...... a difficult process since many pay very little attention to what goes on the line...  I'm trying to teach the value of a signature but it is wasted on those who will give out their bank account number to every clerk in town and on the net.

Anyway, do you use facebook for advertising your business.  Do we look progressive and "successful " or foolish??

I am sure someone is working on developing security faster than the conmen can break it, but how many times will we need to be "reborn"? 

In a business where it takes a generation to own some ground, won't a couple of identity losses be terminal?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Where is your business in the Net.

SW  -  '''' Excellent '''''  post ,  and you can't believe the snickering  I  have  received  from folks asking - YOU  don't  HAVE  AN   ''' A B C - X Y Z  '''  account ---

House  of '' electricfied internet web ''  cards , seems  no  different  than  the  ''  bicycle standard '' deck of 52  & 2  jokers ---

Will ordering of  '''  Check  blanks '''   make  a  turn  around  while the internet stream of funds keep  the  ball  in  the  air  for  HOW  LONG  ? 

Un- imaginable  the  volume  of  currencies  bluuurping  in and  out  of  accounts  internationally being mind B OO GLE ING ---

FaceWHO ,  Tweet  - L - D d,    etc. , no, to  '' old  fash son ''  I  guess   ?   

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

It's a good subject to think about for sure.  Sometimes I worry about it, and yet I'm guilty of part of it.

I buy a lot of goods on the internet, especially specialty or hard-to-find sizes.  

I do most of my bill paying online.

Yet, I've not been on Facebook for years, haven't used my Twitter account in years, have been on Linkedin only a couple of times and am in the process of killing the account, etc.  I don't trust or feel the need for social media.  Many of my professional friends like doctors etc have gotten off social media.  There is going to be a subculture of those who don't play the social media game.

I shut off as much of my smartphone, tablet and computer sharing as I can, but don't doubt the big boys know much more about me than I think.

You are right - when all of us have facial recognition profiles, you know the police will routinely use AI to scan us much more than we know and can probably track any of us.  Just look at the computers in our GPS units in tractors and vehicles.  It's enough to make one shudder.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I`m not on Facebook or twitter, however I can see where if you brag yourself up, it could be part of the package to impress potential and current landlords.  

As far as Facebook "stealing and selling information" I really don`t understand it....well I do, but it`s stupid people showing how stupid they are.  I mean don`t they know, you put info on the net?  It`s there necked pictures, vacations, what you really think about your boss, that wild bachelorette party, who you support in elections all that stuff is out the forever.  

The "election deal" so they used information to target voters, a woman that was a known crook ran and Russians or whoever sent advertisements that said "that woman is crook"...we already knew that!  Tell us something we didn`t know!   But some are all lathered up about that, there were plenty that knew the woman was a crook and voted for her anyway because she offered them free stuff.  

First world problems...

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Politics aside - I have stopped thinking “people aren’t that foolish”—- this last 3 years prove to me they are.
3 yrs ago I met a private investigator who casually told me she did most of her work with a phone camera and Facebook. “Just go to the airport and picture the couples headed for Vegas, then go home and compare pictures of spouses on Facebook. Keeps me busy.”

Jim you remind me of one of my early purchases of carryover herbicide from internet sources. One order was delivered in an older car trunk by two young guys who claimed to have picked it up in Idaho.
I worried until it was used up, if the owner ever knew it was gone. 👮‍♂️😎
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

THIS  morning  on  CBS ,  Sen. Thune  of  South DaKota  mentioned  oncoming   regs. pertaining  to  internet  activities  ---

Reckless   Activities  =  Regulation - like it or not ---  

Honored Advisor

we had a chance to regulate ourselves.

What can be worse than government regulation.  Our information is vulnerable now.  With congress saving us our information will be "gift wrapped with free shipping". 

IMO

Will all the "clean energy" and crop insurance companies who have lived off government funding now become internet control companies?  And those Homeland Security guards are available .... to do home inspections.

Will we be forced to buy new fake software to access the net?

Will we keep growing the bureaucracy and the debt?   Without a doubt.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

its not funny.   

It will take some real government work to secure the internet.  But I am not worried, I got a nephew working for NSA..... and the FBI is training home inspections.  

We will need new prisons for teenagers!     and old guys and farmers........ who obviously are on the net at odd hours.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Your  last  sentence  is  class-ism  extraordinaire ,  although  the  deal  of  facebuuk  photo comparison's  in  Vegas  could  be  quite  unsettling  for  some - New  business  opportunity's  offerings - interesting concept  --- 

The  old  saying  of  diversify  - is  still relevant ?          

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

IMO ----------- It is going to be one more thing the government should stay out of and let it pass like a bad case of aunt betty's pot roast.  

Sometimes the public deserves what it gets.

It isn't gonna kill anybody to wait for the mail.

But they won't let it go, cause all the suckers out there will yell "Government must protect me from being so stupid as to do whatever I did".  

If they raid my house because someone living here gave too much info to someone on the internet....... I hope I can apply for a victim  food cards so I can buy lunch.   Or at least those German hot dogs at the convenience store.

And I'd like to visit her.

Hope she doesn't become one of those "Hot moms in prison" internet stars.   Smiley Mad

0 Kudos