cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Will meat labels matter?

I'm curious to know if you think putting nutrition labels on meat will have any affect on it's marketing or use?

"The nutritional panels will include the number of calories and the grams of total fat and saturated fat a product contains. A product that has a lean percentage statement, such as "76 percent lean," on its label also will list its fat percentage."

My inclination is that it will not matter much.  We usually by the better cuts of meat for the taste and I already know a prime rib is more fatty than a piece of shoulder.

I don't see much evidence of people using labels on most foods when they are going through the grocery store.  Maybe they already know it before they shop.

Why don't they put nutirtion labels on fruit?  People might find out the apple has more calories than they'd like to admit.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Will meat labels matter?

Jim --maybe they won't dilute the hamburger with so much off the ground or floor material---couldn't believe it when they had a" dog food recall" ---must have been some real interesting stuff went into this product to make a dog ill  ? ? See the new food rules exempted most meat and poultry --and they probably won't fund the rest---our elected officals at their finest  lots of "vudue" as always ? I wouldn't give very much $$$ for 76% hamb.  ! !

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jim, I cannot see why they should not matter.  Whether or not we observe consumers using them, at least we've given them the opportunity to make an informed purchase.  This issue, plus packer's and national cattlemen's association resistance to COOL reg's also makes producers look like they want to hide something from the consumer. 

When I shop for food, I look at labels, even the meat.  They should even disclose whether they adulterate the meat to improve its appearance.  I know one store where they would use laundry detergent to bring out the red color of meat that was darkening and that should have been discarded.  This was many years ago when an employee gave me this piece of news, confidentially, of course, and people were unaware that they were eating laundry soap while dining on steak and hamburgers.

If I buy something that is not as good as it should be and if this is not the first time it's happened, that's the last time I will go to that store for that product.  Meat is such a time sensitive product, like vegetables and fruit, that management plays an important role in the final quality of the product.  Perhaps you may not be seeing evidence of people checking labels because they already have a system in place, they know where to buy the best product at which store and which store to leave certain products alone.  They are using their knowledge of past experiences to make the choices before shopping, relying on their general level of trustworthiness of that store, rather than picking out any store from the list of places to shop.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Isn't most poultry sold about the same? Why wouldn't it be easy to put labels on consistent products like chicken or turkey? Adding brine to products has become normal for most meats and many consumers don't realize they are paying for water. The extra labels really won't bring attention to that issue, even though the percentage of water added is located on the front of the package.

Is that dog food recall about the wheat gluten or is it a new different one? That one led to more attention to foreign food. Sadly, a new food recall brings the wrong attention to all producers.

0 Kudos