cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Will property taxes go up?

Now that our new governor has submitted a budget for the state, spending for education will be cut somewhat, due in part to the ending of Federal stimulus spending.  Some schools have a reserve to fall back on while others do not.  Property taxes will probably be on the upswing, thanks to rising land values, but also thanks to the reality that they have nowhere else to fall back on.

How about your area?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Will property taxes go up?

Not only for schools, but the governor is planning to zero out aid to cities, counties, and NRDs. How much will that affect property taxes?

0 Kudos
Advisor

They already have in my area of Ohio.  A significant increase last year on farm taxes.  Schools are laying off teachers and maintainence personnel.  New levies are mostly being voted down.  I've been farming on my own since '79 and don't remember a time when the farm economy was doing so much better than the general economy.  It almost seems to good to be true for the farmer at present.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Land taxes have been going up 4.5-5% here for the last few years.  I expect that to continue.

0 Kudos
Advisor

My maternal grandparents lost a 40 during the depression to taxes.  Grandmothers sister and her hub rescued it for them. They, being childless and thrifty.  Is this the roaring 20'S in the farm economy?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Been thinking that way for the last 5-10 years. When the crash happens, will we have demonstrations similar to those in Egypt, Tunisa, and Jordan?

0 Kudos
Advisor

wt I am old eenou to rememberthe 60's riots.  Living within news reporting distance of Detroit we saw it every night on the 6:00 news.  It wasn't pretty.  With all the modern communication technology today it would or will be worse.  Combine that with social program budget cuts and high unemployment and you have a recipe for disaster.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Someone I met of this board once quoted a Nazi war criminal who explained how they got people to follow their lead: "We gave them everything they needed, so they didn't have to think."

This is the mindset of governments today, I think, to provide entitlements so that people do not question policies.  When the economic system starts to fray, and people no longer receive what they need, I think they start to question and raise a riot. 

It was Greece a few months ago, and now it's those countries you mentioned. The trend may indeed spread.  I feel a definite sense of unease these days. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

During Katrina we all saw what happened when those who were conditioned to depend found themselves without the crutch.  I was working in a support capacity at a factory that required just in time shipments for their production. Trucks were caught all over the United States without fuel to get product to that plant. People with high education and much learning were reduced to fumbling idiots wondering what would happen.

Folks on the line showed up to work with nothing to do. As they sat idle they all began to talk of taking it out on someone else and the "why weren't we warned" came thru very tight lipped and high pitched squeels of why they were owed their wage even tho they did nothing. Truckers were fearful of their lives as they were 100' of miles from home with no way of being able to get back. 

In the end it all worked out but many at the corporate level stated that 48 more hours and they wouldn't have had a company left. 

Riot's won't just be carried out by folks who are addicted to welfare they will be carried out by people who's natural order has been severly disrupted.  I don't think it is all that far away. And unfortunatly a stupid monetary policy along with a stupid energy policy are what will bring us down.

I heard another comment from someone recently as we talked milk price and policy. She stateed the problem with our cheap food policy in America is that most Americans aren't aware that food is cheap!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It is all in the perspective. Four dollar milk is a half hour's work at minimum wage, 15 minutes at $16. Then there are those that seem to think that food prices should stay the same when their wages have been the same. Beef prices have really risen, so have pork, turkey, and chicken. How have wages moved? Most people (at least not in the Midwest) do not associate dried beans as a protein substitute or go vegan for a meal, but they may if their wages are not enough to pay meat. I do not know if there will be riots in the street or just a greater black market. Social media can make that occur easily these days too.

In addition, people complain about high taxes.They associate themselseves with those that have had their taxes raised, even if theirs have not. Candidates can bring out the complainers and whiners in the electorate. Before long, everyone thinks alike. They believe they have been victimized by the "system."