cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Re: Willing to give up subsidies

Without question, you bring up a subject that most farmers don't like talk about, but for sure, needs to be discussed.  Just because we don't like a topic, doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it.  I too am a farmer, but also work full-time off the farm to properly support my wife and 4 kids.  Like many, my dream and desire is to be able to just farm, but the economics have just not been there to-date.  We farm 300 acres of row-crops and do some custom-work.  I too have severe misgivings about subsidies even though I still take them.  What do you think about CRP or CSP?  Should we eliminate those also?  Seems like a fair case could be made that the investment by our government (the people of America) is worth the cost with CRP when it comes to air and water quality, but others would probably disagree.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Paid into social security moron. The small business guy trying to make it, pays his tax then you get it under the pretense that you are feeding the world.This is nothing more than an entitlement that needs to go away. And by the way social scecurity is close to bankrupt too, another great social program.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kraftt I guess if you call making a living without government help being manly I guess Im pretty darn manly. You must wear a dress or something and bend over and take it from somebody in town telling you how to farm. For instance date you planted, tillage system you can use, so you can get your nice welfare check. Don't use sarcasm to underwrite a pitiful argument. Im gonna go check cows and feed, You stay inside till April and get your check

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

You need to lay off those nasty pills. You were fine presenting your valid opinion until you moved into the attack mode. These guys did not write the farm bill. They merely participate in a program that the government offered. I assume the government in all it's wisdom wants us to participate.

I'll not oppose you if you choose to eliminate the progarm, but I don't think your right to condemn folks that are participating in a legal program that the government passed into law.

I never thought much about wearing a dress but wearing panty hose might be nice. Me and Joe Namoth. Ha!

Frequent Contributor

You lost any credibility with the childish name calling there cow. As for the direct payments, I do believe that they should be eliminated. I can't see any justification for them in this market. At the same time, I can't see giving up my own individually though. I paid for it with my taxes, why should my competitors get it and not me? Like someone else said, give it to a charity, leave it with the government and they will just waste it.
0 Kudos
Advisor

While $6 corn may not be directly benefitting you, you'll have to admit that the fat price and consequently the feeder price has come up drastically. (like corn)This isn't benefitting the cow man???? I can't believe what they are paying for feeders and, if a year ago, someone had told me that fats would be $20-30 higher I wouldn't have believed them. I justquit raising hogs last spring and liked it for the same reason you give to cattle. The checks were mine and no one helped me, but.... I'm still a corn farmer and the two enterprises could be exclusive to each other. You and i can rationalize the situation all you want.  Back when ldp's were subsidizing chicken, hog and cattle production farmers took it upon themselves to form coop ethanol plants. they did this to try to gain some prfit from the use of corn. much like a cattle feeder does. this procees was facilitated by tax incentives , put in place by the US govt. These incentives were used to encourage alternative energy sources as well as encourage economic development. I suspect that no one legislator or anyone in the bush administrationanticipated the growth of the industry, but that is where we are today. Lastly, i should remind you of the feed situation in the mid 1980's. Back the, I was able to "seal" corn for 2.44 and then redeem it in the $1.20-1.50 range and THEN feed it to hogs at good prices. Was just the grain farmer getting subsidized? A couple of my friends and I were remembering this situation and felt that we never made so much money.(if our debt was low) As to your ascertion that there is no rationalizing $6 corn... that may be true, but  the chinese seem to think it is a bargain. It may be more a function of the cheap dollar than worldwide demand. We all know that the cycle will swing back and the shoe will be on the other foot.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Government subsidies are just another example of what is wrong with our government.  The program at one time was an important part of insuring a cheap and adequate food supply in our country.  Times have changed but getting rid of government programs is almost impossible because it just another way for our politicians to buy votes.  How many senators and representatives would be reelected in farm states if they voted against subsidies?  How many farmers are telling them to cut out subsidies?  

In addition to "buying votes" it is another way that the government stimulates the economy.  Look at where the subsidy money goes.  The money is spent for farm machinery and who knows what else.  Local businesses are helped by purchases generated by the subsidy money.  The government also gets part of the money back in the form of income taxes.  

I agree that subsidies are not needed at this time, at least in the grain sector.   I also know that I sold a lot of sub $2 corn through the years and had to work off farm to make ends meet.  I just look at subsidies now reimbursing me for the many long hours I worked years ago on the farm for very little money.  

We each just need to do what our conscience tells us to do regarding subsidies and respect others right to do the same.          

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Fella's I apologize if anyone was offended by my statements on these subsidies. Plus they aren't going away. So I better just accept it. I will say that I do see merit in the government helping with terracing tiling etc. Reason being everyone benefits from a cleaner enviroment. Oh my god I sound like a democrat.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

You must have some terracing and tiling to do. I don't know about terracing but government didn't pay me a dime to put in drainage tile.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

No kraft t all my hill stuff is in pasture so no terracing here. I guess I didn't know they wouldn't pay for tile. I think that the NRCS in my area does a good job of trying to help guys conserve the land, although I do think they get a little ridiculous about tillage. A light disking almost never in my experience hurts too much.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos