cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Would you if you could?

What a great post Hoosier. If your feet were 2' above the fence, must of only had the bottom wire strung at the time. ROTF

By the way, what's with all the texts you've been sending my way this morning. I was at work so I couldn't answer any of them. Now that's a ROTFLMAO.

And just to set the record straight, what are we talking about 40 years back? Why yes, those days were much simpler. My biggest dilemma was whether to grab the cherry popsicle for my snack or the ice cream sandwich. See I wasn't even in school at the time and those afternoon naps were brutal, but I would return if I needed to.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Mike worked off the farm for more than our first 20 years of marriage and farming.  He missed a lot of the kids' early growing up, working too hard...probably true of many dads in our generation. 

It was too hectic then, with his job and our growing family, plus the little family farm we were working towards owning "someday".    I think that we always felt if we only had the farm, it would have been Easy Street as far as our workload, but we would probably have starved, too. 

What we've been talking about lately is what it would be like to have just that...the small "family" farm with nothing to distract our time and eat away our energy.  In essence, it would be more along the lines of the idyllic farm that most Americans think of when they think of family farmers. 

Maybe it would just be a big tax writeoff. Maybe it's a pipe dream.  All the rules we've played by all of our lives seem to have been written only for the gullible, like us, today. 

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Question from Kay : Let's say you can keep your tractor with the cab and radio, but not have to push it over so many acres.  Would you be happier with the fifty cows and a fourth as many acres?

Well first off Kay - could I be 17 again ???  lol

Second off - As much as i hate to say it - but I'm heading  back to them days sometime in the near future - as my dad has done - when my dad retired about 8 years ago - he still raised about 20 to 30 head of feeders - He loved messing with them -we have a nice 5 acre field for a feed lot type deal along with 7 acres along the  open ditch with a few trees - then a 9 acre patch just south of the open ditch - we use to run 200 head at a time on them  .  But i'm no spring chicken any more and when I retire - I'm sure that i will be running cattle in there to . My best guess is that i would keep one cab tractor for pushing snow _ For you Southern People - that's white stuff that falls from the sky when it cold outside . We still have the 656 that dad brought new in ?? 65 i'm pretty sure - and we still use it a lot - mowing side ditchs and moving round bales, But i will have to put on another fender radio - lol

So to answer your quetion Kay - yes someday - I will be back to the good old 70's - lol

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

When you are with the person you fell for in 1969, it is tempting to want to go back there.
0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Kay, I just wanted to say congrats to you and your husband on a successful career. Being that Im only 30 years old I can't relate to your post much. My wife and I are still in the cautiously get bigger mode. The last couple years things have pretty much been at a stand still. The price of land and inputs have been on way too much of a rollercoaster ride. I grew up during the farm crisis of the 80's and early 90's were farming was looked at differently than it is today. I can still remember watching the news and learning of farmer suicides after they lost their farm. Nobody wanted to be a farmer, and they sure didn't want there kids to become a farmer either. I gave it a shot anyway. My first farm job was on a mostly outdoor hog farm down the road from me. I loved that job. Getting up early, feeding the sows in the farrowing house, going out to check the pigs in the fields and baling straw..... At that time there wasn't many slatted hog finishing buildings around so straw was needed. (This you know) I had that job one summer and loved it.... Too bad it was the summer of 1998. That hog operation was pretty well wiped out by the summer of 1999. Point being before I ramble on too much here is that I fall into a narrow generation that was too young during the farm crises to have been the operator but was old enough to remember what it was like. So turning back the clock for me would not be a good thing in regards to agriculture. 

It is funny you started this thread. I was on my way home from work this afternoon. The snow was coming down hard, but it was beautiful mixed in with the farm setting. I wondered to myself what it would have looked like 40 years ago when there was several farmers per block instead of several farmers for the entire county. The golden age of farming was probably from the 1930's through the 1970's, when farmers helped one another to get the job done and family and faith were more important than the all mighty dollar. Im sorry I missed out on that era (not by choice) Farming today can be somewhat bland. Few farmers help one another for fear of giving their competitor an advantage. Family and faith take a back seat to the high stakes poker game that farming has become.

SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

Kay this is an interesting thread, 

I am you guys (40 years ago) im 23 and im looking into the future 40 years from now, and to be honest im not sure how excited i am about it. Don't get me wrong i love agriculture but things have really changed and will continue too. I grew up on a farm that up untill oh five years or so ago ran equipment that was all 20 to 30+ years old. My dad made a living at it with a few part time jobs here and there. No he never got rich, but hes as happy as can be. Three sons all married and all with kids. He is up to 6 grandkids now. 

I said five but probably more like 7 or 8 years ago was when i really started to show my interest in the farm, this changed my dads perspective. My two older brothers both ran away from the farm, so dad didnt bother with updating equipment or expanding, then i decided i really wanted to be involved. Well since that time, dad (and I) have gone from mowing grass with a three point sickle mower to a newer (less than ten years old) swather and baler, custom hiring harvesting to owning all harvesting equipment, a 1950's 12' end wheel john deere drill to a 1997 15' no-till drill, Oh and we went to no-till five years ago completly, using a 1969 john deere 4000 that my grandpa bought new in 69 as our main tractor to now having a tractor that has less than 800 hours on we got last spring, First tractor under 5000 hours we have ever owned since the 4000 new in 69.

Now as i progressed into a more promonant role on the farm alot of these changes were pushed by me, you know the typical get into the 21st century child to dad talk. And as i got my agronomy degree i became even more aggresive, because that is what was preached during class, oh need to have this, got to have that to make a living, got to get big lalala crap, and i became absorbed in it. At that time i didnt have a wife and child so i spent alot of my hours looking at the future and what we HAD TO HAVE on our farm.

It's only been a year since ive graduated and i find myself starting to question the advances that farming is seeing. We spend alot of time and money driving across the state going to forums and meetings on the new latest things (oh and alot of pro agriculture meetings where they give us a pep talk on how to promote ag)  and what we should be doing and all the technology that goes with it. And sometimes doing all that i really just wish i could be back on the 4000 mowing down hay, even though that was just a few short years ago, i loved those times, i had alot of fun, now we would be laughed at if we were still doing that.

And tomorrow ill go back to the farm and think about how i wish i had a vertical mixer and gps and scales on our cattle shoot and a heated shop and and and.

But getting back to your post and question. 40 years from now when im in your shoes, if i don't have anybody that is intereted in farming in my family i think i will try to seek out a younger generation to help out. Then i will take a few acres and farm with older equipment and remember back when life was simpler. The way agriculture is going, im not sure i will be able to live that in reality, emmision laws will probably outlaw most of the "older" equipment, with all the computers and electronics nowadays on new equipment it will probably virtually useless in ten or twenty years when software upgrades or the such wont be available. Im still waiting for the day when i can no longer use quickbooks 2009 and they force me to spend a couple hundred dollars on the new one.

A few reasons why i really question and sometimes wonder if all this excitement about new technologys and electronics is all it's hyped up to be. I try to be an optomist so i will continue to chug along. There are times though i wish i could have lived through the times of my dad (hes 66) he has seen quite alot of change in his life, or better yet my 98 year old landlord. I think if i had lived through those times i would have a greater appreciation for where we are today.

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

I couldn't agree more. My dad often talks about how during harvest you could see four or five combines going from your field, all different farmers and grain trucks would go by all day. Now only occasional semi goes by during harvest and hardly ever are you harvesting a field and another farmer let alone two or three are all farming next to each other at the same time. Now we arent in a huge farming area, alot of cattle so farms aren't huge by any means, but were so spread out. It used to be a guy would farm a quarter or so, maybe more but it was all within a few miles if not contiguous, thats where you got the farmstead on every section or maybe denser than that, now guys 30 miles away rent land right next to us and we have to go 15 miles away to get to some of our ground.

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odzOf4mQsck

This may make you look back a little

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Quote from blackly - The golden age of farming was probably from the 1930's through the 1970's, when farmers helped one another to get the job done and family and faith were more important than the all mighty dollar

Golden age of farming ? dang it blackly - your making me feel even older -with that Golden part - but if you think about it - the year I was born - they were making 400's --450's New ! and as for Kay - heck they were making H's and M's - MTA's !!!!!!!!!! And for Jim ??   Heck I bet he saw his plow horse born -- Smiley Surprised

I guess we fall in the group of ------ Old Iron - lol  but like our old iron - you got what you got - built to work - nothing fancy - get the job done - and keep going --  lol

As for you young bucks - you will set your on legacy - as us old iron has - with pickers - little squares _ tens of thouands of them )  M's - A's you name it -  it may not be stories you tell your grand kids about - horses -- 2 or 3 bottom plows -- 4 row planters  -- But you will have plenty of stories -  It may not be like when I was young and a bunch of buddies would pull out a 396 and drop in a 427 -- over night - your stories may be closer to ??  Well kids - one time  I  found and changed the spark plugs in the car --- ALL in one day ! lol  But it will still be a story -- 

Enjoy every day on the farm - there is always a story - in the waiting - but need to take time - every day to see them - Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

i would seriously pay $10,000 to have my little girls back for one day( now grown and on their own), but I would not want to go back to when I started. this is working and just as challenging and stressful, but i deal with day to day problems so much easier/better than i used to. everyday is a new adventure.

0 Kudos