cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wrong field or soybean theft?

Earlier I asked if it would matter who the field was being farmed by,on whether to tell them who had combined the beans.Several years ago a neighbor died and his family had a nationally known farm manager take over.I rented it for 2 years then was told they wanted 400/ acre rent and I also had to farm 600 acres the manager controlled 40 miles away.As I stood on a bridge looking down  at the farm in the other county,I knew there was no way I was going to try to farm what should be creek bottom pasture,so the farm next door ended up being rented to a guy from 80 miles away.To this day I don't know who farms it,the farm manager gives me a runaround when I try to talk about tile or fence issues.

Last year they took over the road,3 combines 6 semis ,2 grain carts,and 3 pickups showed up .They wouldn't get over so I could get thru so I ended up having to combine at home that day.After they left the next day and I drove the combine to a field a mile away I could see a wrench about every hundred feet in the road.either they had left the endgate down on their service truck or the service body on it rusted thru,,I didn't know his name ,he wouldn't talk to me when I had issues,I kept the tools

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I probably couldn't be as thoughtful. It was a screw up and it will cost somebody. I'd say it is rather big of you to ease the burden of a costly mistake. There should be some advantage to you to recieve the fertilizer even though you didn't order it.

That's a good example of trying to understand things from someone else's view point.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Well my moms brother has been stealing
2 acres off of my moms feild for 12 years.
recently sued HER saying its his, (our
Attnory says he is a squatter)....now he is
Offering $500 an acre..
Most ground is going for $5000....
And now threating a forced sale.

Has made her physically sick and the
Attnory will not fight and wants to
Settle
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

What is a squatter?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Some very interesting views being expressed here.  Sounds like some of you I'd like having as neighbors and then a few I wouldn't.  I'm not perfect by a long shot, but here's my view on things.  As for getting in the wrong field, if you took someone else's grain by accident, you make it right one way or another, either in grain, money or trading work.  Anything else is stealing regardless of whether the guy is a saint or a jerk.

As for fertilizing the wrong field, unless something is applied that you didn't need such as boron (for alfalfa), you need to pay up.  It would probably be nice for the applicator to waive the spreading fee, especially if you normally apply your own fertilizer.  That way you treat the applicator fairly and they do the same for you.  It certainly helps to stay on good terms with people because you never know what the future may bring.  Being fair and honest about it today could save you a big chunk of money should you pull a boo-boo in the future.

As for spraying, if it was something you were going to need to do anyway, pay up.  Fair's fair.  If you had already sprayed a herbicide and the accidental spraying did no good whatsoever, or it was for a specific weed you did not have then I'd say the applicator should stand the cost.  They made a mistake and it cost them money plain and simple.  Things like that happen.  If it was say a corn herbicide that killed your already planted beans, then they need to make it right.  That's what they have liability insurance for.  If they sprayed a corn herbicide on your field that was to go into beans, I'd say if they agreed to forego the price of the N and give you the seed, you should be happy, but pay for the P and K.

I've found the old saying, "What goes around, comes around" is all too true.  If your neighbor is stuck, go pull him out because some day you may be stuck and need to be pulled out.  Now if you already pulled him out and you ask the return favor and he tells you to go to hell, you turn around and walk off.  But you also never again help him even if it means he has to walk 10 miles to his house for a tractor and chain.  If your cows get into my corn, as long as they didn't to a tremendous amount of damage, I won't say anything because my cows may get into your corn next year. 

Most often, it you treat people fairly, they will do the same.  A fellow I know was expanding his operation and renting new ground.  When he moved into my neighborhood, many of my neighbors were upset with him because he out bid them on cash rent.  One of my close friends happened to meet the guy one day and told him that if he ever needed tools, etc for repair work while in his neighborhood, to go to his shop and borrow whatever he needed.  All he asked was that he replace any items like bolts or grease that he used.  The new guy told him that no one else had treated him that way and that my friend never had to worry about him being responsible for taking land away from him, or if he was offered my friend's rented land by the landowner, he'd contact my friend first for the details.  That's been probably 10 years ago and the new guy has been true to his word ever since.  Being too competitive and needing "to win" at all costs can be your downfall if you're not careful.