cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Re: are you better off than 4 yrs ago

I tend to wonder how much people's faith and political ideology mix to form their policies. The past 4 years have taught me the grown men and women can act like children and get paid like kings for basically doing nothing in Congress except renaming post offices. Is that really important, considering the economy and armed conflicts in this world? Someone said that gridlocked government is working perfectly in line with the Constitution. However, how will this country continue with only continuing resolutions?

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

wt - I also find it interesting we have unfunded war on 2 fronts yet are unable to fund the postal system and yet spend in the area of 8 billion on an election-interesting how they can interject a spin on various agenda's --- I have a tough time trying to put a definition on conservative and or democrat --- 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I get really peeved with people who simply refuse to vote, because they "don't like either candidate."

To me, that is an expression of OCD...if I can't have exactly what I want, I won't take anything at all. It is rare, especially now, to find a candidate whose platform and views precisely match my own.

This isn't new: As a young teaching professional, iIresisted being told who to vote for by my "unified professional organizations" (nice way of saying olcal.state adndnational "union").   When I was chided by another teacher once for saying so, I replied that "what I do for a living is not all that I am." 

For example, if a raise in teacher's pay meant our taxes on land went up more than my raise, what did I accomplish by supporting the union's position?  And yes, I know that is a singleminded, self-serving position.  It still made sense to me....

Not very many people seem to know their own minds well enough to make them up anymore. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

At 11:23 p.m. EST, CBS called the election for Obama.  I am more worried about the next four years, than the last four. 

BTW, Romney still lead by about 700,000 in the popular vote, at this juncture. 

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

Sigh, yet the populus vote when its all said and done is worthless. Electoral votes leave me stumped.

0 Kudos

Absolutely right, kay. Who are we to judge that one is a better Christian than another. Mormonism may not match many of our standards, but the Guy in charge of world religions will take care of it. I've never heard of meth labs, looting, and public shooting sprees in mormon neighborhoods.

0 Kudos

You bring up some good points.  I should probably clarify some things lest I be completely misunderstood.  My comments were directed at the original question I was addressing with Hardknox in regards to the actual religious leanings of the two presidential candidates.  I wasn't speaking to the entire gamut of what to look for in a presidential candidate.

Although I am a committed, Bible-believing Christian myself, I don't for a moment imagine that everyone I vote for in public office has to share those same level of beliefs.  That's pretty much impossible in a pluralistic society like we have today.  My main question to answer when evaluating candidates for public office is this:  Do they have a proper understanding of and commitment to upholding the proper role of government, which in its basic Biblical form is related to promoting the common good of a nation, promoting righteousness, and punishing evil.  You don't have to be a Christian to have some basic understanding of or commitment to this for government service, but it helps.

As you say, the real question is the content of their character and not their color.  Color is certainly no issue since we are all one race made in Gods image.  In this case, since I am writing this after the results are known, it's obvious that, increasingly, Americans care very little about the content of the character of the person who is our nations president.

turkey feather
Senior Contributor

As usual I agree with Kay's views about the makeup of the votes for Obama. The Republican leaders must change the way they run these elections campaigns if they are going to win. It was the ethnic vote that put Obama over the top except for the American Cuban and single women votes. Romney was just too polite some of the times with Obama. I knew when Christey was walking with his arm around the Pres and praising him for coming into NJ it was changing the vote. Then of course, Obama was off the Nevada to continue to campaign as always but the damage to the election was done.

0 Kudos
minnisota
Veteran Contributor

You are right about standards Mormom families far outshine all other religions in the U.S. the most honest hard working folks I ever meet. Example we had a farmer die in an accident and the first people to help where Mormons and this guy who died was an avowed Athiest. They are honest in all thier dealings in bussiness and take care of thier own. Never meet a christian that had 7 yrs of food stored for the tribulations but these folks really do. Strange beliefs (yes) but so are christians muslems and jews. I laughed when you said about drugs and gangs. And talk about families holy smokes had a mormon friend who was 27 with 7 kids and he was a teacher couldn't figure out how he feed his tirbe until you meet his family and friends they encourage large families and they all come together and feed these young people. You won't find them on food stamps EVER no these are a people I admire and envy because they practise what they preach for real not just on sundays but 365 and they will help anyone no matter what your faith or non-faith.    

0 Kudos

They are certainly due every protection under the constitution as are Zoroasteriians, Parsis and Hindus.

But I sort of draw the line at having the nation led by a guy who apparently beleives in secret decoder glasses, the native americans were the lost tribes of Israel, the Garden of Eden was in Missouri etc.

I guess I wouldn't bother to go to church if it was just about being good folks and I wasn't sincere in trying to understand what I beleive and why. We have 2000 years of biblical scholarship to go by, don't need a flimflam man making up a bunch of additional stuff.

Although I guess that Rev Moon was tight with the Bushes so it is hard to know where to draw the line.

0 Kudos