cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmandfire
Veteran Contributor

fires, fires, fires everywhere

Northern Iowa blew up today!!! Our area had a total of 6 combine / field fires today. The high winds were a contributing factor. We had winds ranging from 30-45 with gusts upwards of 60 mph. One fire ran a mile and a half and grew to two miles wide. With no rain in the forseeable future, everyone be safe and make sure to blow off the combines everyday.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Re: fires, fires, fires everywhere

We have had soo much rain here in the Eastern cornbelt I have only seen a field or two harvested both corn and beans so far. Harvest wont really kick off here for another week or so.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Yup, odd conditions.  The irrigated corn still has a lot of green in it, with a few bottoms with leaves tinged from frost.  The pastures are brown and crispy, and the dryland corn, while also brown and crispy, is way slow in drying down.  I think it must not be quite ripe yet, and is hanging on in case we get any more moisture.

0 Kudos

I tend to leave a tractor hooked on the disk with a full tank of fuel when harvesting in the fall. It sure can save a bunch of corn if you have to head off a field fire. It's happened more than once in the local area...and I was always thankful I could help.

0 Kudos