cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: how hard would it be to get funding for a beginning farmer with 4years of agriculture classes

I get your point entirely. I obtained a 25 acre farm in a 1031 exchange for .3 acre about three years ago. it had been lying fallow for almost a year, and as good, fertile land, had been grown over with weeds over my 6-foot tall husband's head. When I elected to put fit into CP-33, FSA wanted all the fields borders to be planted in native plants (weeds) and 1/3 of it mowed each year.

I asked what was wrong with the fallow succession growth, and was told " Nothing". I got a second state cost share to plant the middle of each field into grass and legume cover. Trade a guy up there the eight acres of hay for mowing the third of the habitat acreage in the non- nesting season. The hunter who leases the land, who is also my insurance agent on VA,makes sure he colors for me.

A lot of the time, I have found that people default to the standard recommendation, without asking a simple question like the one i asked above.
0 Kudos
Artifice
Senior Contributor

Re: how hard would it be to get funding for a beginning farmer with 4years of agriculture classes

hopefully very hard.

we just went through a jaw biusting BOOM in land prices.

soime thought 8$ corm was permanent.

Save your $$ and in 3 yrs you will be able to buy land from a bank at

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I'm afraid you may be right. Earlier in the week (I think it was Tuesday), I heard portions of an NPR show dealing with ethanol, fuel efficiency, food prices, the RFS, etc.
When even the Prius crowd calls on and says that the ethanol- containing gasoline shows up a significant reduction in fuel efficiency on the constant readout of MPG in that car, ethanol looks a lot less PC tha it once did. Throw in food price hikes, whether all due to RFS and 40% of the domestic corn crop going into distilleries, and you are hitting black ice, headed for a skid.

The thing that most Interested me. Was how much pf the ethanol industry has already left local hands, and been bought out by oil companies like Valero...I predicted this, once they lost MTBE...but, the buyout was quicker than even I anticipated. It will be interesting to see what happens to the blender's credit in December.

Meanwhile, I am conceremd about people who have bought land on credit.
0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

If you are  hoping for $3  dollar corn and that will be good for the general farm economy---ethenol will still consume corn---and if it goes that low do you really think exports of the product will ease to the Pacific rim or is it that Smithfield will have cheap feed stocks ---how much $$ worth of grain in a box of cereal ----the box costs more than the grain---as for getting into farming find a gentleman ready to retire and join him or her---and get as much ""Ear Knowledge" as you can from those folks--- and when the "herd" turns right take a left even if it don't feel right at the time it will probaly be the best in the end--- I'm going to fill up today with E-85 and let the experts figure out where they will get the rare minerals for their cell and ipod  and car batteries---seems pork is quite a bit higher than when we had a lot producers farrow to finish---experts didn't quite have it right I guess ?  

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

An expert is just somebody with an opinion, who is expressing it more than forty miles from home. 

0 Kudos