cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

idalivered- Meeting in Iowa and viewing my Farm Operation?

idalivered- you mentioned on another thread that you would be interested in viewing my farm operation this coming week. I would love to have you ride shotgun while I check the crops and do a few little farmland odds and ends to get ready for harvest, We would start out on the east side of Interstate Highway 35 and look at those 5 farms first, then head west back over I-35 and check the 5 farms that I own west of I-35. All the farms are within 8 miles of each other, so no long drives are needed to check all 10 farms. As mentioned, we did not get all 10 farms planted because of the weather problems we had this spring, but I still need to check out the unplanted acres. I will supply a 12 pack of beer to keep us company while we also do some yield checks on the corn and soybeans. It is a known fact, that in Iowa when doing yield checks that the yields are much higher if you are doing the yield checks with an ice-cold beer in your hand. LOL!!!!

Anyway, let me know if you are still interested in meeting me at the bar for a beer and then looking/checking the 10 farms I own in this area. Again, I would love to have you as company as I check out my farmland. Let me know if you are still interested and what day next week would work best for you. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
40 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: idalivered- Meeting in Iowa and viewing my Farm Operation?

You could also show him your manure managment plan on p planted acres--- 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Someone should organize mini tours in each area so we all can check out each other's operations. One of the best times of my life was a 4-h trip where we toured several farms in a area far enough away from home that the farmers did stuff a little different than most in our area. It was all beef operations. Which is what I was interested in at the time. I'm a long way from nowhere but if anybody wanted to check out my small operation I'd be glad to show them around.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yes, my hog operation is on the corner of the 320 acre farm I bought in 1999. If idalivered is interested in seeing that I will show him that as well. It is only 3 large CAFO Buildings, but the manure is nice since it helps keep my per corn bushel production costs down. In fact, it helps lower the production cost on the corn acres we put manure on by 35 cents per bushel. 35 cents doesn't seem like alot, but  anytime you can lower your input costs on corn it helps out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

RSW - just curious, do you have a separate custom operator for your hog business? Just trying to wrap my head around running that and crops as an absentee farmer.

Pretty sure doubts about the truth of your custom farm business are quickly being dispelled. I know some are awaiting your meetup with idalivered for a final judgement, so that'll be a good thing for you and the message board.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Faraway, I think you have the most level head of many of us contributors.  If I haven't said it in the past, welcome aboard, your presence and contribution here are both appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yes farawayguy, I sure hope idalivered can come and ride around with me while I do some yield checks on my crops and check out all my grain bins and the corn dryers to be ready for harvest.. I can work around his schedule next week so just about any day should be ok with me when he decides when to meet. Yes, I am only a 50% owner on my hogs. I put up around 50% of the beginning money, but I put up the 10 acres of land that it sits on. That was like 12 years ago when land was only going for $2,500/acre. Today that 10 acres is worth $150,000. But I do have a 100% of the manure rights and that saves me around 35 cents per bushel of corn on our manure corn acres. 35 cents doesn't seem like alot, but it helps.I started the hog operation with a friend of mine and he runs the whole hog operation by himself. All I do is help with the marketing/hedging of the pigs and all the accounting for the hog operation.. He gets a little more of the profits than myself since he is the guy who does all the physical labor. I am just kinda of a silent owner whose job duties are the selling of the hogs and the accounting as I mentioned.. My friend is a hard worker and I trust him, He does do a good job and we are a profitable operation.

I do find it interesting that some people don't think you can run over 1,800+ acres and 50% of a hog operation by yourself being an absentee owner. You just need a good computer system and excellent communication with your Custom Farm emplyees is all. Sure the first 3 years I made some mistakes, but when money is involved you learn quickly. Also, my numbers and the Iowa State University analysis all show over a 20 year time period that Custom Farming has the highest Return on Investment Ratio, except for farming the land yourself. But farming the land myself was not an option. The wife wanted to live in the big city and also raise the kids in the big city so we could send all the kids though Private schools for grades 1 though 12, and not to public schools. Guess I too like the big city (I live in the Twin Cities), alot of stuff to do and no driving 45 miles to a big grocery store if we lived out on one of my farms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Bring soil maps see we can add up the CSR you think you have

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Thanks for the kind words. For those of us that don't have boots in the field, this site is a pretty good substitute for the local coffee shop my father went to almost every morning of his adult life. If I do venture into custom farming, it'll certainly help me feel more connected, beng able to converse. Pretty sure RSW would feel the same.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Good luck on your ventures. As far as Fairy Tale is concerned, his constant remarks on milking the tax payers out of every dime he can and then bragging about it and playing it down, that gives everyone involved with production agriculture a bad image. Maybe if he was doing his own work he would understand this. We as farmers do have a rather sweet deal going with the subsidies, but nothing lasts forever, and slapping the tax payer in the face is no way to show appreciation. Maybe some day he will understand what he is saying is unethical. Good luck to you Faraway.
0 Kudos