cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: idalivered- Meeting in Iowa and viewing my Farm Operation?

How

bout monday at noon or late morning?. think i

m gona be in that area. click on my name and send me an email

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Mike, that information is available for each parcel on the county assessors web site

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: idalivered- Meeting in Iowa and viewing my Farm Operation?/farawayguy

farawayguy- Yes, living in the Big City I don't have anyone to discuss farming with since everyone we know in the Twin Cities are city people and work for some big employer like 3M or the airlines. Our friends here know I own Iowa farmland and ask what kind of crops I raise, I say corn and they think I raise Sweet Corn to eat!!!!!! LOL

I have to explain to them that it is #2 Yellow Field corn!!!!

I have looked up my area of the Twin Cities by zip code in the EWG Website that lists all the Farm Subsidies that Farmers and Custom Farming guys like myself  get. There is 1 guy that lives up here in MN that owns probably 3,000 acres of Iowa farmland, but I have never met him, other than him, not any other guys that live in the Twin Cities and own Iowa farmland is listed on the  EWG Website. Anyway, I am looking forward to meeting idialivered and showing him my farm operation. This crop year has been obsolutely the worst crop year I have ever had in my life, even worse than the flood year of 1993. idialivered will get to see some of the worst corn crop I have ever had. I real be very lucky to get an overall corn yield of 160bu/acre. That tells you how bad of a time we had in North-Central Iowa this crop year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Mike- I can round up the soil types and CSR Maps for idialivered to look at if he wants. But since he is an Iowa farmer he will know good farmland from bad farmland any day of the week. Most of all my farmland is a 80 and higher CSR and I have only around 10 to 12 different main soil types on my land. I have alot of Nicollent Loam dirt with a slope of only 0 to 2% that is listed as a 55 soil type, this 55 Iowa dirt number is just excellent corn dirt, it produces an easy 220bu/acre yield. It holds moisture so well that some parts of it on my farms needs tiling to max out the corn yield. I have probably spent over $250,000 in tiling since 1986. The CSR Rating and the type of dirt it is like Niccolent Loam is probably # 1 on the list in it's ability to produce high corn yields, but having enough drain tiles to drain all the excess water off our corn fields is #2. In Iowa. We lose a 1,000 times more corn yield to wet soils than to drought. That should tell you how important it is to have a good tile draining system in place. Having good tile in Iowa is probably the best thing you can do to increase your corn yield.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: idalivered- Meeting in Iowa and viewing my Farm Operation?/ Shaggy

Shaggy- getting Farm Subsidies is just another source of revenue, the $20/acre Direct Farm Subsidy is a good example of this and I do not feel guily taking it. Same as the $48/acre in the form of a pass-though subsidy for our crop insurance, everyone and his brother knows we get 63% of our crop insurance paid for by the taxpayer. The total of $68/acre in subsidies is only 35 cents per bushel of corn.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: idalivered- Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?

Hey thanks for the reply idailived. I have a meeting scheduled tomorrow with my Tax/Estate Attorney on how to handle this new 160 acre farm I just took-over and will be adding to my Custom Farming Operation. I hate to try and reschedule it this late with him  . Monday is tomorrow. Is there anyway possible that we can meet on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday? I hope you understand this and he may even bill me for trying to reshedule this late. He charges me a pretty hefty per hour charge. Let me know if Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday will work for you. Anyone of those days should work for me. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: idalivered- Meeting in Iowa and viewing my Farm Operation?/farawayguy

Ever heard of a Glenn Taylor, he's in Minneapols 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

let u know later. maybe thurs or fri.mornings might be better, so that would limit my beer consumption

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Thanks for trying to rearrange your schedule, this 160 acre farm I am adding to my Custom Farming Operation is 80+ CSR  and probably worth alot of pocket change so I need to handle it correctly for my Estate Planning. I have 3 kids and you know how very important it is to treat all the kids evenly in regard to your Estate Planning. It is always fun to add another farm to your operation and see how it goes the 1st year. And on the beer, no problem, I don;t drink as much as I did when I was in College, It seems when I was younger I could drink alot more and not even get a hang-over. However now, seems like the hang-overs are much worse than when I was an 18 year old kid!!!! LOL 

Anyway, keep me posted as to which one of the 3 days will work best for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: idalivered- Meeting in Iowa and viewing my Farm Operation?/ Shaggy

You can stop preaching your numbers to me, I've got them already.  I never said you weren't entitled to receive all sudsidies, and would be a fool if you didn't grab everything that is handed to you.  I believe we all do that, but the way you so loosely flap your jaws about it gives "Farmers" a bad image.  Find me another contributor other than yourself that throws these dollar figures back into the people's faces that hand them to you.

By the way, this additional 160 acre tract you are adding, am I correct in saying that is another piece of ground given to you by the wife's family?

0 Kudos