cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: ks ag real estate property tax 472% increase

Those increases set by those counties are are factored by set mill rates applied to land purchases made by (evidently) thriving capitalists  

They are not  political decisions.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Two thoughts occur ths morning:
Was this an actual RATE increase? Usually, when valuations based on comparable sales go up, rates on real estate go down, at least on the first year following the general revaluation.

Second, the thought of much higher real estate taxes, which are levied on the landowner, not a lessee, means reductions in rental rates would really squeeze margins for landlords. How much grace they can grant their tenants becomes less and less a matter of discretion, and more one of breaking even, especially if the land was purchased for investment purposes.

Higher taxes coupled with lower rental bids on farms held by non-farmers might generate some sales?
0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

This being the by-product of conservative tax cuts - interesting analogy --- 

0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

from what to what. $1 to $2 or $10 to $20 or $20 to $40?  The question is whether Real Estate taxes were incredibly low and doubled or incredibly high and doubled. Or if tax rates were quite reasoable and increased moderately.

Like mitts 13% tax rates increased to 25% would not be outrageous when you and I are paying 35%

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

The 400+% increase is accurate if the change is implemented.  It is not refering to mill levy changes, but is on a tax per acre basis.

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

I personally find property taxes high. Mine
run anywhere from a little over 6 an acre
To over 10 an acre for pasture. I feel
That is high, and little if any service
Is received. I once had a cow shot and
the. Sheriff never showed up. Pasture on
Fire once, local fire department paged, nobody answered the call, half an hour
Later had to call another department
Myself...but oh they see a thistle they
Fire off a dirty letter..
The thistle was 1 foot in the pasture, he
Couldn't just give it a squirt.
But I stop and remove hazards on the road,
So maybe they should pay me
And oh, what about gravel on my
Road, nothing on my road for 19 years
The township board members, every
year, and we have a special mill levy
For it.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

My parents were having the same issues with gravel on the roads as you are cheapo.  Mom volunteered to be the township clerk for 4 years and now I bet she has some of the finest roads in the township.  Sometimes if you cant beat them, but you just need to figure out how to beat them to the punch.

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Well got new valuations in the mail...

Lets just say they are getting practiced
Up for when they go up 400%

Things are getting out of control.

The county commission can't say no
(Except to me)

Another couple of years of all this, I'm
Going to tell everyone to go to &*$@
0 Kudos
tree fmr
Advisor

We were having the same problem with gravel. Ambulance was called to the neighbors, family had to take him 2 miles with the truck because the ambulance couldn't make it up a hill. Gravel was being dumped the next morning.
0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

SW  - I noticed the part about taxation on out of state property owners which  also  includes class 8 transportation --- Kansas has a equipment property tax if you have Kansas on your prorate license agreement - @ $500 a rig even though not a resident of Kansas--- Kansas has been doing this for a couple decades at least- along with New Jersey ---    

0 Kudos