cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

machinery valuation

We are in the process of buying out a partner.  Rather than hiring a professional appraiser, we are trying to come up with a realistic value on the farm machinery.  We know what the original costs and the depreciated values are on each item but realize that auction values are sometimes much higher than depreciated values.  Does anyone has an "educated" guess as to a realistic percentage of original cost to use--most items were purchased over 5 years ago and were purchased used not new.  Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: machinery valuation

I'm not sure I understand your objective.  There are various land grant university spreadsheets that talk to machinery costs and how to charge expenses against them.  I don't know if that would help.  Maybe custom farming rates might help.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

We are trying to come up with realistic values on the machinery (such as what they might fetch on an auction), not rental or custom rates.  Or is it best to just try to find comparable items on Tractorhouse and use their prices?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

i wouldn't use an  asking retail price. if you do i got some stuff to sell you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

You can try the dealer you do business with.The salesman can give you a idea.

You can also look up price on webb sites.In most cases dealers will sell at 5 to 10 percent lower.

When I was a dealer we did this several times a year.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

You might try auction results on tractorhouse

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I reallly like Machinery Pete's auction results.  On this site go to the home page.  In the upper left hand corner is Machinery Pete.  Click on that and then on Buyers Guide.  It costs some money but I've used it and have been very pleased with it.  

0 Kudos