cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

neighbors, relations, local businesses

Well I'm thinking of setting some new rules.
no business with relation, and do no
Business with anybody closer than 50
Miles!
Had problem with relation on pastures.
Lost out on pasture rent on one pasture.
He never put cattle in....first said water
Issue which was easy to fix...then told
Me first he had cattle enough to fill two
Pastures...then later said he didn't and
Did not want to buy cattle to fill it.
So I lost out year rent and had people
Begging for pasture.
Then one neighbor owes for hay for
A couple years.....another neighbor was
Supposed to put up some hay....he didn't
Claimed he got busy.....so lost that.
The local jd dealer and an independent shop
Give me an estimate for a tractor repair,
over $4000, I just happend to call a shop
About 70 miles away. They did this fairly
Often....he said they get it done for
About $750 !!
Talked to all agents in town for a quote...
$2500 or more....one said you could
not even get the kind of insurance I wanted.
I research on internet, found a place a ways
Away, that not only said what I wanted was
Available.....but about $250 a year! !!!!!!
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: neighbors, relations, local businesses

People treat us the way we teach them to, according to Dr. Phil. I think we are too easy and maybe complacent when dealing with family, or others we have to see frequently.

We had to stop dealing with the local repair guywho ordered and installed wrong tractor parts,charging us not on,y doubke, but hours for taking off the wrong ones. On advice of counsel, we itemized the correct repairs, no more, and remitted a check for that, since the mistake was entirely his. Lucky for us, SIL is a pretty good mechanic, and there are still others around to patronize when it's past his pay grade.

I refuse to do business with family, beyond one sub-S corp, where I am stuck by design. Have one sister who wants every dollar ever minted. Miserable person....

Locally, there are some businesses I adore doing business with, others I tried, but they simply were not good to deal with, either. Some complain about how bad things are in our area, but their place of business is closed more than it is open, so?!? I refuse to hunt domeone down to hand them our money.

Feel you on the pasture rent and haying. Our kids volunteered to gelp a nieighbor out by baling some onsurance loss small geain. He had sold the bales to a third guy, and the kids were making bales we could handle with our small estate tractor and loader soear. Buyer comes over and mouths off that bales are too small, he is paying too much by the bale ( still under what we'd charge for that diameter here).

Fine. Explain our bottleneck, but he is a cheap SOB. We make biggest ones we can, and say good luck loading thrm, because we cannot. You got what you ordered.

Not surprised that cattle prices left an empty pasture this year...they are scary high. He still owed you the rent, though, by law anywhere we farm. I know, I know... Family peace/harmony has its price, scary high sometimes, too!

I have about 100 acres of very nice hat I need baled on halves...any ideas on hiw to find a taker for that deal? Mike and I are trying to get the whole cattle/ hay/kids' hirses piece worked out...startup year with our ciws. Thankfully, daughter is down from 45 horses to 23, and several are still for sale. I am trying to get her to think quality, not quantity! If she has ten, and ten boarders, then her net cost is nil. She is starting to get it...every horse go e is a cow/calf space to fill.
It is a free country, and I vote with my pocketbook.

0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Horses are God's way of telling you that you have too much available money to spend. 46 Horses????????????? 

Makes the cat ladys around with a housefull of cats look relatively sane.

Sorry, but I have personally seen families that struggle to put clothes on their backs, and food on the table, and never have understood the horse mentality. My condolences to you on dealing with that daughter.

As far as the local repair shops, the last few years, their mantra was "the farmer is getting his, lets get ours, too!" 

This has been true for the seed and fertilzer industries, too.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Money up front would solve many of the questions.

An estimate and quote in writing might  help.  That one is quite out of normal farm repair behaviour but I see it advocated in airplane matinenance more and more.

Your situation is all too common and yoru reaction is understandable.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

We have been renting our grass to a local producer for about 5 years now. Without doing the math, we've probably got nearly 600 acres in all. We require 50% up front money before any livestock is stocked. Some years there was no grazing or haying of certain acres but full payment was received. Cattle are extremely popular in this area and grass is at times more valuable than cropland especially if it has rural water available. If someone doesn't pay in full there are usually several other producers willing to step up and take over the lease.
0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Here I thought I was the only one with family money problems.
0 Kudos
Waterlooiowa
Frequent Contributor

When I was a kid my town was roughly 1/3 catholic,1/3 lutheran and 1/3 Methodist.Alot of people only did business with someone from their church,so the machinery dealer made sure he had a salesman and a mechanic from each one,so he could get his foot in the door everywhere and cut down on the talk that " THEY" were out to screw you.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

That's all fine and dandy Waterlooiowa, but put yourself in the shoes of a Baptist.  He is screwed from the onset and doesn't even have a church to retreat to.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I think it git to over fifty head at one or two points. She had a stable of hirses just for kids' riding lessons, has several barrel racers for herself to ride competitively, had some brrod mars and a stud, several rescues, and a good number of boarders. . Without raising her own hay, she could never have done it...oh, feeding rescues alone is extremelt exoensive.

She used to try and solve everyone else's problems for them...says " no" way easier now. She hasstarted trading more for quality than quantity now. I take financial responsibility for one old lesson horse, because she is very nice, and I swore I would never ket her go hungry, when we saw how the prison we bought her from was treating her....

We aepre appraoching single digits of family-owned hirses, finally...that said, her husband and FIL are on a road trip to Mississippi ( from NC) tonight, to trade one she had for one she wants.

FWIW, my husband totally agreeswith you. He cannot stand a damned horse!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Almost everytime I type the word horse it comes out looking like this.  Hay Burner

0 Kudos