cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Only this once, man!

When we lived in VA, the lids attended public schools, and the district eventually banned sales of fundraising products.  I did the happy dance, but then we moved to NC and enrolled the tow younger ones in private school.  God help us....

Every time I turned around, it was work this event, sell this crap.  We were building and running a very big farm and dealing with litigation with a crooked building contractor...so court proceedings and such.  Also, there was one woman who organized everything and kept all the accounts...eventually someone figured out they were taking in way more money than the school received.  I finally told them I would rather pay more and not get dragged into the morass of moneymaking projects. 

I cannot remember ever saying no to a kid who got stuck with fundraising duty...but, I will not give one money unless I see and sign up for the product....I think they and their parents need to learn to deliver the goods.  Last fall, one who failed to show me the paperwork for his Krispy Kreme doughnuts did not get my six bucks, since he never had his fundraising packet with him. 

I've had one indignant parent say something to me once about his child's classroom needing stuff, and I told  him to send the materials he thought they needed...since they got what everyone else was getting.  The thought had never occurred to him...

I get plenty tired of the lip service people give to education, but probably worse is having a governor lieke ours, who will not see reason when it comes to .increasing class size slightly to help balance a budget in hard times.   I taught up toe 42 kids at once, but you think 20 instead of 18 will kill teachers today....

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: "Give me money"

This subject possibly deserves a different heading but it does relate to donating.   For over 30 years I plowed snow from 5 or 6 neighbors driveways.   Recently a couple changed hands, the owner died or whatever.  I now use my steel tracked skid loader to do my driveway snow clearing.  Over all the years I doubt if I received $100 total in :donations".  I asked 1 person once if I ould store wagons in their empty barn and was told no.  Being slightly peeved at that I didn't plow their driveway the next snow event.  When I received a phone call from them asking me to come over and plow their driveway I told them I wasn't doing it anymore as it was too hard on my equipment.  Sometime later running into them at a restaurant they told me how expensive it was to hire a 4 wheel drive pick up operator to plow them out.  I bit my lip and didn't ask for all the back money owed me for my free services.  Recently I had a landlord ask me to keep their driveway plowed out for their dughter who was house sitting while they went to Mexico on vacation.  I explained how I can't take my skid loader down the road and anyway the tracks would ruin their asphalt driveway.  Him being a city boy who recently inherited the place looked at me dumbfounded.  I knew I was talking to a blank wall so I told him OK i'll take care of it somehow.  2 days later a big snowfall.  I drove my pickup in and out a few times to make tracks for the house sitter.  Another land lord who is constantly squeezing me for more rent but only wants hay on his ground asked me to come help him out for a beer or 2 plowing him out.  Guess he got someone else to do it.   Moral of the story:  Why does everybody expect a farmer to do things for free for them?  

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I couldn't have bit my lip. I would've said I know how expensive it is to plow your driveway. I've been paying for it for years. And folks like that wouldn't catch on either.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I think the thing that ticked me off the most was their refusal to let me park some wagons in the empty barn.  Even though they wanted the snow plowed up to the barn doors.  If you can figure that 1 out let me know.  Ha

0 Kudos