cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gagene

se nebr hail storm

A major hail storm went thru se nebr sunday noon. The storm was appr. 6 miles wide and over 20 miles long that I know of so far.I have my home and a rental home that had the north windows broken completely out. We went in basement and 2minutes later had golf ball size hail bouncing down the basement steps. My son and myself lost 1500 acres of corn and beans completely.We only have appr. 120 acre to harvest this fall on a farm that was not in the path of this storm. I suggest to buy stock in Budweiser because their sales should rise after this one.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
E7+10
Senior Reader

Re: se nebr hail storm

That stinks. Work hard on something and have it not turn out. Been there. The storm is still sitting between Lincoln and the river. Same place as yesterday morning. I was up several times overnight looking at the radar to see what was coming.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

It's awful to hear of your loss and I hope that the crops will come back some.  It's amazing what powers of recuperation they can have sometimes.  It must be heartbreaking to look over your ground in the meantime.

0 Kudos
Advisor

178i569EC60C56F9F8CC

Rex Riedy, a fellow from Hagie Manufacturing, sent us this photo, taken near Adams, Nebraska.  "I told this farmer the corn would come out of it and when it does he'll need to spray it," he wrote, tongue firmly in cheek.  "It hit SE Nebraska pretty hard."

--John

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

That is bad had that happened two years ago.Took the insurance money and put in a non insurable crop sunflowers worked really good. email me if you got  a ?.

Highlighted
gagene

my corn fields look about the same with the beans being total disastor. Had hail adjustor look at some and they said 2 out of 10 corn plants may produce an ear. However them 2 may go down later. To late to replant corn as I know of some guys that tried that last year to the north of me and they ended up cutting it for silage and the silage pile turned into a manure pile. If it stops raining beans my be an option but if we plant them before july 5 the bushels raised would go against us towards the SURE program. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation. Thought about sunflowers but was told to forget it becuase of their market price.THoght about oats for cow feed put have atrazine on corn and extreme on beans. I was told this hail storm took a swath from near crete,nebr to humbolt,nebr. and was 5 to 10 mile wide. The corn we had thru out this area was the best ever. Our averages are in the 120 bu. range but I could see some 180-200 bu corn on the way with a few small rains. But look what 15 minutes did.

0 Kudos