cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenup3399293
Veteran Reader

seed companies

Is it just me or do seed companies seem to hide after the sale? I plant Monsanto products. I have emailed local agromist weeks ago then left voice mail. Nothing....

Anyone else

0 Kudos
16 Replies
WI AgLender
Contributor

Re: seed companies

Seems like the price of that bag of seed only included the seed, and not any service! Smiley Happy

imagine how much it would cost if you had to pay for the service too!

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

We plant Mycogen products. I have had some real problems this year.  They have been out repeatedly and they are making things right.  By real problems heres a pic to illustrate194iFE034A49100CD14B

0 Kudos
Sundowner
Contributor

Two years ago I had a refuge number that died from a Roundup application. Yes it was supposed to be glyphos resistant but something went wrong when they crossed the hybrids and it was only half resistant.  Mine was obvious to the row as I put the refuge in the outer four rows of the planter. They made things right with me and then some.

Actually wished I had planted and sprayed every acre like that!

0 Kudos
gurly3801539
Advisor

So jr, what are they telling you the problem is?

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Gurly I am a little embarassed here.  Back when I ordered my seed I told the fellow I wanted my BMR corn RR and my conventional grains to be Liberty.  Something happened and the order got switched.  I assumed That my order had been followed.  When I started planting my first hybrid was a quad stack with both liberty and RR resistance. I assumed All the corn was that way.  Well the second hybrid was only liberty.  The seed salesman didn't catch it either. 

The funny thing is that the corn in the pic isn't supposed to be RR yet about 60% in that field lived and in other fields it is only about 10% damage.

Again I am not knocking Mycogen here. They have been wonderful to work with and this coulda been avoided if I had been paying closer attention or the seed guy or the seed order hadn't been switched in the warehouse. it is not a seed problem it is a communication problem.

This is why I went to Mycogen from another company they have great service and are a progressive company.

One of the tech guys told me they would have 24D Resistance in 2013.  I said great one more thing to mismanage! LOL JR

0 Kudos
gurly3801539
Advisor

jr, I think mix ups are more common than we think.  Hasn't happened to me yet, but always worry about it.  I know of one case where the coop sold the seed, provided the agronimist, and did the spraying and they killed 240 acres of corn.  That one slipped pass a bunch of people.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Gurly The first rep to come out was an agronimist.  She looked to be about 25.  Real nice gal but she kept saying this can't happen.  I finally reminded her that I had been planting corn for 20 years and I have seen a lot of things that "can't happen"  Happen. JR

0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@jrsiajdranch wrote:

Gurly The first rep to come out was an agronimist.  She looked to be about 25.  Real nice gal but she kept saying this can't happen.  I finally reminded her that I had been planting corn for 20 years and I have seen a lot of things that "can't happen"  Happen. JR

AS Oscar Wilde said "I am not young enough to know everything."

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

As Toby Keith says, "I ain`t as good as I once was, but I`m as good once as I ever was"  Smiley Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWVgta2yIo0

0 Kudos