cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hwr247
Senior Contributor

the new and improved farm bill???

Am a lttle worried how congress is viewing ag.....seems like they are stumbling over each other making cuts!!!  It wasn't that long ago when we had prices below cost of production.....does anybody remember the double payments?  Farmers have short memeories as well when land is up to $16000 an acre in NW  Iowa.....

all commodity groups and the ag committees are in agreement that the shallow losses  crop ins misses should be the number one place monies to go.....thats a great idea the problem is nobody knows how to make that work?     any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: the new and improved farm bill???

Don't worry.  If and when things tank, and a bunch of small, independant farmers go under, and get sold out, the government will decide the BTOs are too big to fail, and bail them out.  After that, us little guys can go work for them.

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

It's not the "shallow losses crop insurance misses" that concern me.  It is not the job of gov to guarantee everyone a profit or even breakeven.  I do hope we can maintain a viable crop ins  to protect against the big losses like zero bushels harvested off dryland milo this year.

0 Kudos
hwr247
Senior Contributor

i hear ya and am sorry to hear that u have been hit so hard....up hear in the northern plains believe it or not we have had an overabundance of precip since 1993 which has infected our wheat with diseases which create lots of discounts at the elevator...i have been thru the dry 70's and 80's culminating in the 1988 drought which i hope i never see again!!!  my point with crop ins is if the premiums cost $50000 for $60000 worth of coverage no one at least not me would take it.

0 Kudos
highyields
Senior Contributor

You hit the nail on the head,   The "high rollers" like we call them around here, then the rest of us who try and make sure all the bills are paid on time

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I really hate to sound so cynical, but looking back at history, that seems to be the trend.

The little guys get sold out,

The big guys get 'refinanced'

and the government gives ways around payment limitations.

I honestly think the farm program has accelerated the elimination of the small independant farmer.  While well-intentioned, the results weren't quite what they thought it would be.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

If I were to guess, it would be that the farm bill will demand more and pay less.  Some farmers, and I may be one of them, may opt to leave the program.

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

What happened wasent the intent.

How Many times has that happened.

0 Kudos