cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

w-2

I picked up preprinted w-2 forms today at the office supply store.  Is there an easy way to fill these out.  I have found templates online but at this point I am a little confused and frustrated so I was hoping someone on here would have an easy link for me.  Oh and we use Quicken for record keeping so as far as I know there is no templates in there.

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: w-2

Q used to print them on those forms. Later versions make u buy payroll portion separately. Depends on version.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Our office uses MAC. Payroll is separate subscription.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

We use Quickbooks for our primary business to do W-2's, 1099's, 943, 940, etc.  Since we have more than 3 emplloyees I need the enhanced payroll package at $395 + tax.  Mine just renewed & I thought the cost was rather steep so I called in to ask if there was a less expensive option.  He said  I was running the option I needed, but they were running a 30% off special so I will be recieving a $115 dollar credit.  Guess it paid to call. 

We also use the same Quickbooks program for a few smaller businesses/ corporations.  Even though it's the same Quickbooks program, each company requires it's own payroll subscription.  I don't subscribe to the payroll service on those (seems kind of silly to pay $400 for each company's payroll, but it doesn't work that way).  Several years ago I sat down and drafted an Excel file that I use for 1099's, 1096's  & W-s's outside our primary business.  It expedites things, but was a pain to set up initially. Trial & error.

I picked up my tax forms free at the IRS office, but I did purchase envelopes at an office supply store.  The store sells the forms (1099's, W-2's) which seems silly to pay for but it comes with a template CD that helps in printing them. It was around $40 but I don't remember how many forms it came with.  It was a separate purchase though for W-2's and 1099's.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

We use the same program, but with less than 10 employees I do them by hand.  

I think it is a very unreasonable fee and when I studdied the payroll options it did not support a 943 form.

If Quickbooks is going to continue to try to enhance revenue unreasonably, are there any other program options out there?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I agree the QB fee is high.   I've got over ten W-2's and over ten 1099's, and I can print the 943 and 940's through my payroll subscription and generate reports for work comp and unemployment so it's convenient and keeps me posted as to amounts due and deadlines.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Thanks,--------I will reconsider.  When I called in for info.  I got that 943 answer and it always did seem fishy.  is that an annual fee for the sub. or can you go several years before updating it like the overall program?

I kind of like doing them by hand(showing my age there) but I have other things to do.

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Well, I feel a LOT better about picking up my forms and envelopes at the local office supply store yesterday, and doing them by hand.  Granted, it's only a few, but I got out for under $3. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

That's the annual fee for the enhanced payroll subscription (395+tax).  It's not cheap.  They have captive users.

I'm currently using Quickbooks Pro 2011 and the fee to upgrade to Pro 2012 is about $184 after coupon code. 

I usually do that every couple years.

I've used QB since 1997.  Last year I transitioned 4 companies over from Quicken to Quickbooks.  So that's all I use now.  During the transition, with one of the companies it randomly picked vendors and transactions and in the memo line added the words Invest Inc going back as far as 1997.  That was cause for concern so I called and asked Intuit about the integrity of the data (although the numbers and balances all seemed correct) but I wondered what else screwy happened.  They passed the blame and said it must be something with exporting transactions from my bank; however I didn't start exporting transactions until around 2009. 

Sometimes I wonder why I pay for some of the frustration, but I know the Quickbooks system and it works well for me and my CPA and generating the information I need. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Farm 160,

I been at QB about the same time.  Usually upgrade about every 3rd or 4th year, or whenever I change computers.

I liked the earlier versions a little better.  The latest one is giving me a report form to close down every time I restart for some reason and a couple of other glitches that are "online update" based.  

For the most part I like it for the same reasons( cpa, etc).  Since the irs has generally forced us into a double set of books anyway with their nonstop changes and depreciation quirks.

395  annual fee ------------------well lets just say I won't be supprised if they try to make it mandatory to be able to upgrade, or irs is going to partner with Intuit and make us all file online with quickbooks.---------So I am looking for other options.  Stubborn that way.

Foolishness is if the upgrades were 75-90 annually and the payroll was an additional 65-90 ------- ------I probably wouldn't think twice about it.  

Basic accounting is not that complicated and the basics don't change.  And my cpa will do the payroll cheaper than QB

Kay/nc------Thanks and I besides it is good to exercise the old pencil occasionally,  Not many of us left that know how to start one and keep it running.

0 Kudos