cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

who's right who's wrong ?

we had some snow early this morning., maybe an inch or so, and winds 20+ all night and the trees still moving around pretty

good now.  I had to have a laugh, on this morning "3 big things", wheat was down, due to "a blanket of snow on the wheat

to insulate it from the cold thems".......well a while back, is when we had the critical cold temps, now its just going to be cold

and with the wind, etc, not a lot stayed on the fields.  Somewhere in my readings, the statement was made of "extensive winter kill damage"

was done to the crop already........and thusly we go down.

who's right  who's wrong

i'm somewhat "cheap".......meaning that i'm on the high plains, we don't have ideal growing conditions, not the best of soils, so one

must monitor the costs, due to production is not always a lot at times.  I read in amazement on other forums, the number of times

sprayers run over fields, the mixtures of herbicides, fertilizers, fungicides, insecticides, and what ever else (even have to throw some sugar in the tank now !!)

it just seems like you just add everything there is to get every single kernel of grain off that acre of ground, and so what the cost of

that kernel. 

and to what end......yes more production, yes more grain to haul to the elevator, and the more bushels the more money right ?

it used to be, but due to this all out production,  we have excessive stocks (or so we are told) and thusly the price goes down,

so  it has turned into a game of chasing that pot o gold at the end of the rainbow.....the more you spend the more you produce, the

less you make...it all ends up those that profit is the input suppliers and the place you haul your grain.

so, what's the cure for this situation.......is there a cure ?  in some patients, there is nothing you can but to keep them comfortable, ease their

pain, is that the point that we are now ?

today, we have things soo confused......the coops and others are pushing, these certified crop consultants......and they will help you 

figure everything out, from fertilizer (which they sell), the seed (which they sell) and the herbicies and chemicals (which they sell).

the ads make you think these folks are on your side..........are they ?

when you suggest a cheaper way to go, oh, they roll their eyes back and say, oh you don't want to do that, you need to maximize the

bu you produce due to low price.

anymore, it's getting harder and harder to separate the "good guys from the bad guys", 

so what's we do ?  use the latest and greatest (and most expensive) inputs, and produce a huge crop (at least hope so)

or, cut back on expenses, and maybe not have a record breaking, but a crop with a lower cost of input, and hopeuflly

a lower cost of production (dependent on yield).

who's right......who's wrong

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: who's right who's wrong ?

The dealer says the stuff will increase yield 2/3 of the time - better pay your money and take a chance.

The university says the stuff will pay for itself 1/3 of the time - don't invest

The government says the more your yield the higher your base - better overproduce

I'm usually in the "dont' bother" camp.  Right?  Wrong?  I don't' know.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: who's right who's wrong ?

My dad had a rule of thumb......... "Only 20% of what is for sale will do what it is claimed to do and 90% of them are depending on you to do the research for them."

That is probably not a statement of fact every time, but it is a philosophy that affords a protection from the tendancy to believe the advertising.

Coops and agronomists are used as an insulating "middle man" from the liability of claims made by the seller.

Igran comes to mind --- Was promoted at one time for control of sandbur grass in grain sorghum in this sandy, high ph area.  Often left out was the fact that it must be coupled with a cultivation practice that keeps the chemical away from the milo for the first month then cultivated from the furrow to the seedbed for control of the grass.

The complicated details often got left out and a neighbor decided it was the answer to his prayers....   an untimely rain moved the chemical onto the small milo plants and the neighbor lost his whole crop and could not replant because of the presence of the "answer to his prayers"   Had crop failure for two seasons.... 

The dealer will say lots of things.

0 Kudos