cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

3 phase to single phase

I have 440 three phase at my irr motor.  Can a guy hook a small 3 phase motor direct to a generator to generate 110 and 220 single phase.  sometimes we want to set there along the river with a camper.  An electric motor driving a generator would be cheaper and quieter than a  gas generator.  Any reasons why this won't work???   Thanks

"poor" Rich in Nebr

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: 3 phase to single phase

It should work ok, however 3kw transformers that can be wired 480 volts to 120 or 240 are common.  I use them to run a 1/2 hp deep well water pump and also have one on a grain bin for lights and to be able to plug in a tractor block heater.  This would be cheaper than a motor and a generator I would think.   The transformer hooks up to 2 of the legs of the 480.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I got mine from my power company.  I would think most electricians could get one.

here is a link to a used 5w transformer on ebay   http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-9T21B1004G24-Transformer-5-KVA-240-480-Volts-/280551147640?pt=BI_Circuit_Brea...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Like Sandhiller said, just get a transformer. They are fairly cheap and very simple and reliable.

Aaron

0 Kudos