cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Silverwheaton
Senior Contributor

36' overhead door for farm shop

Anybody have one or have experience with such a big door?  I would like to have one installed when I build my shop this fall.  Do they hold up?  Advantages or disadvantages? Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
delbert531939
Reader

Re: 36' overhead door for farm shop

I installed a 30' x 16' insulated overhead door w/opener last fall.  My building is 50' x 90' x 18'.  I love it!

0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Approximate cost?

Just out of curiousity, did you price the door separtely on cost and installation? I am looking at doing a building with a 28 ft by 16 ft insulated door with opener and wonder how expensive that is . I have found that it is cheaper to have the builder frame the opening and hire the overhead doors put in separately by someone else. Maybe you did it as a package deal. A 30 ft door doesnt really gain me anything since any 30ft equipment needs 33 or so to get into and my 25 ft wide header would fit in a 28 opening, Everything I can think of that would go into a 30 ft door will also go into a 28 ft door.

0 Kudos
Silverwheaton
Senior Contributor

Re: Approximate cost?

I am talking a 36' door here.  And yes it is priced in the building.  Still wondering if anybody else has one this size?

0 Kudos
djsinseia
Frequent Contributor

I put in a 30 x 16 overhead door in 2008 when we built the shop.

Am wishing now I would have put in a bifold. 

The top panel is beginning to sag when the door is open, which means it does not seal up tight when the door is closed.  I think I can fix it with some cable and a strut in the middle of the door, just haven't done it yet.

I think a bifold door that hangs from the header would not have this problem.  Also, bifold doors are made heavier.....

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

I put in an 14x24overhead door in 2009.

Is a Wayne Dalton, they were made with attachment ribs to put two factory trusses on the back side. They also would strengthen the door by themselves.

Mine only has one truss on each panel and they are still as straight as the day it was new.

I also like the button in the cabs of my tractors that magically open and close the door.

When I asked about the other rib they said that was for really windy locations.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Approximate cost?

My 24x14 insulated trust reinforced with double chain opener was $5000 installed. The same exact door was 500 more if purchased through the builders ...not a bad day's work for just calling in an order. swomebody's making good money on these things.

0 Kudos