cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

ATV rear axel not turning

Jump to solution
I have a a older Honda 300 4x4 that the rear axel has stopped turning on. Drivetrain is turning back to the ring gear. Was wandering if anyone knows how it is coupled to the axel. Right now am able to use it sparingly as it is now a front wheel drive.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: ATV rear axel not turning

Jump to solution

You remove the double nuts on the axle, and pull it through.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

You remove the double nuts on the axle, and pull it through.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution
Still spending $ on this thing. Axel, ring and pinion gear set, all new bearings and seals, brakes and brake cables. The motor or transmission better not go any time soon!
0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

At the shop where I got my ATV, the guy once told me, on the older machines, it is often more expensive to rebuild the rear end, than the engine.  For my old 1996, if the rear end went out, he suggested I'd be better off parking it, unless I could find a wrecked one somewhere, with a good rear end on it.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution
Mine is a 94... I think and I would agree. Just hard to find a "good" used one. I wish now that I would have just turned the axle around and put the good splines from the brake side in the ring gear. Ring gear splines were worn badly also but I think it would have lasted a few months. Maybe now it will last me another 20 years. Wish I could get that out of a pickup
0 Kudos