cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Diagnosis please 2006 Saab 97-X

Or a chevy trailblazer for the intellectually challenged.

The yellow light with the outline of an engine is on and occassionally the gas guage drops to zero and the low fuel light comes on. Yes I fgilled the gas tank with $50 worth of gas yesterday and have not yet driven 20 miles on a full tank.

Thanks in advance. I suppose I need an appointment at Don Thornton Cadillac Saab.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Diagnosis please 2006 Saab 97-X

The first thing I'd do is be sure the gas cap is seated properly.  If that doesn't fix it, around here we have various auto supply shops like AutoZone that will do a free diagnostic readout of your car computer.  They aren't as complete as the dealer, but may pinpoint a simple fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Good idea Jim. I did  remove the gas cap and retighten it and it made no difference. I got an autozone about a mile away so I can easily stop there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I have an old Saab 9-5 and have had the same problem with the fuel gauge. It only happens for about the first 50 miles after I fill the tank -- the gauge drops to E and the low fuel light comes on, then it pops back up after a second or two. I think it's just in the gauge. Same thing happens, too, with the gas cap indicator light. Once I get to about 1/4 of a tank, that light pops on occasionally, but I can just clear it and keep going. I haven't found any indication it's a sign of a greater problem yet. I wonder if the sensor is just really sensitive, and once there's enough open space in the gas tank for fumes to build up a little bit, it triggers that sensor. We have the same issue with our old Subaru wagon.

One tip (in case you're not doing this already) -- this was passed on to me from a "Saab guy" here: Use synthetic oil. I run synthetic high-mileage in mine. There's a design flaw in the engine (mine's a '99, so maybe they've changed this between '99 and '06): There's a little filter in one of the oil hoses running down from the crankcase -- on mine, it sits right behind the timing chain cover, right in the middle. The filter tends to get gummed up by old oil deposits and it causes a little oil leak there. Using synthetic oil, I'm told, eliminates (or at least minimizes) that problem, as the synthetics don't have the compounds in them that end up as sludge to gum up parts like that. So far, it's worked. Hope it continues to!

Of course, now that I say that, the head gasket will probably go out on me, or something like that, knowing my luck!

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I got to wondering Jeff that maybe I over filled the tank. That could be a possibility. Perhaps if I burn a gallon or two it will fix itself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I drove about 30 miles yesterday and my problem was solved. Evidently that extra squit of gas after the automatic nozzle shut off is a no no. Thus the cause was over filling the gas tank and was solved by using the excess.

0 Kudos