cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Electronic trigger instead of points/condenser in old F-M mag?

Has anyone ever tried the generic electronic trigger modules sold for use in the magneto ignitions of older small engines, in a tractor mag?

I don't see any reason it won't work, and in fact have bench tested this idea successfully with Fairbanks-Morse FMJ and FMX 4-cylinder mags. They both fire reliably on the impulse coupling, and the FMX fired reliably even at remarkably low rotation speed with the impulse coupling disabled. The FMJ was not tested without the impulse/snap coupling.

I know from my experience that these cheap ($15- 20) little trigger modules are very reliable when mounted in a relatively cool location on the outside of a small engine. With no points to wear out or condenser to fail, they are much more trouble free than points/condenser triggered ignitions on small engines.

All the magneto ignition systems on current small gasoline engines have electronic triggers built-in.

A Google search turns up nothing useful.

What do you think?

Great idea, or "If it ain't broke, broke don't fix it."

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Electronic trigger instead of points/condenser in old F-M mag?

so how did you hook it up to trigger, I thought they triggered on a small engine when the magnents on the flywheel went by.  How did you do that in a mag?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Electronic trigger instead of points/condenser in old F-M mag?

Most OEM small engine electronic magneto triggers do have a sensor that interacts with the flywheel magnet to time the spark.

I used a "Nova II" brand generic conversion kit for small engines that senses the pulse of electricity from the mag coil in the points wire, and triggers the spark at its peak. I have used several of these kits on small engines in the past with good success.

Here is a link to the instruction sheet for the kit I used: http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/novainst.gif

Tags (1)
0 Kudos