cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Fuel gage problems

A while back I posted as to where to get a fuel gage for a 3010 JD. Got several good suggestions as to where I might obtain an after market gage on the net. I ordered one and could not get it to work. Also ordered a sending unit. Compared the resistance of the old sender with the new one and found them to be very close to each other. Put the new sender in. Tried the new fuel gage and all it will do is read full. Even got another new gage and tried it. Same thing. Was able to send that gage back. Even ran a jumper wire from gage to sender and still only get a full reading with less than a half of tank of fuel.  Both sellers listed this gage a working on a JD 3010. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fuel gage problems

Check  for resistance between the fuel tank sender and ground.  Does the gauge have a ground terminal? if so, run a wire from the sender  ground to the gauge ground.  Otherwise try ground ing one of the screws on the sender with jumper wire.  Any chance their is a bad connection on power getting to the gauge causing low voltage getting to the gauge?  Disclaimer; I have no idea what I am talking about!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for your input. I will try these suggestions and see if I can get it to work. Think I have tried most of these. Old gage had two connections. One bolted onto the 12 volt source and the other went to the wire from the sender. The new gage has those two posts that those two wires go on with a nut screwed on to hold them on. In between them there is a blade type connection that I do not know what it is for . I have tried hooking it up every way I can think of an have not had any success so far. Some say it is because the tractor was converted from 24 volt to 12 volt. However the old gage worked after the conversion. hcube 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I have problems with a fuel gauge on my 4650.  I found that with the wire to the gauge grounded, gauge reads full, with the wire disconectted, the gauge reads reads empty.   I am sure I need a new sender.

I would guess yours should do the same or else the reverse to that.You may want to start at the gauge with the only the wire to the power connected and try a jumper to ground from the other post.and see what that   does.  Not sure what the blade connecton would be, possibly a ground or internal light.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Mine was a '67 3020.  I had it converted to 12 volt.  A few years later the fuel gauge needed to be replaced.  The dealer sold me one for a 4020 because they said all the replacement ones for 3020's would not work properly.  The 4020 gauge worked just fine.  You might want to check with a JD dealer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Friend

I went thru this on a 4010 diesel that was still 24 volts.  The middle post is to ground the guage to the frame.  Like you I got an aftermarket guage and some of this stuff can try out your mind.  I agree with the post that said that if you have converted to 12 volts that you need a guage from a newer 12 v 4020.  On the 24 v system the guage feeds from one of the battery sides of the key switch and I don't know how yours was converted..  My guage does work alto not completely accurate.  I am sure it feeds off of the negative ground side of the key switch.  Good luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hillcrest20 thanks for the reply. That gives me something else to try. I have not fooled with it for a while now and still have a hole in the dash. Thanks again. hcube   

0 Kudos