cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Gear puller

Anyone have advise on good gear pullers. We had Posi-Lock at the factory and even they got screwed up every now and then. They seem to be more expensive. Are the cheeper ones as good or do you get what you pay for.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Advisor

Re: Gear puller

i have broken or bent every cheap one i have bought.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

With the cheaper ones you usually get LESS than you pay for.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I have broken many cheap ones, and even screwed up a couple Posi-Loks.

One day, my dad was at an auction, and bought me a set of OTC brand pullers.   They were makred OTC USA on the head, and MADE IN USA on the arms.   Absoluely, positively, without a doubt the strongest pullers for their size I have ever seen.

They don't have the cage to hold the jaws in place, like the Posi-Loks, so they need a flat surface to grip, but if the jaws don't slip, they will pull loose things a similar sized Posi-Lok will not, and I just can't seem to break them.

I have no idea, what they would cost new, though.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The OTC pullers are actually cheaper on Grainger. We had a few that style at the factory. I can't remember if they were better. I thought they lasted longer since they weren't as easy to use as the Posi-Loc. i think I'll shop and compare at the farm show this weekend.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

My brother had a drive coupler on a center pivot that was siezed to the shaft.   We ruined the threads on the bolt/socket of the Posi-Lok, but the OTC one, got it loose.   They were of similar size, but the OTC fit in there better, because it didn't have the cage.

Oh, and a tip, if you bugger the threads on the bolt shaft of a Posi-Lok, and they will not warranty it, before you order repair parts, price a whole new puller from Buzzard Gulch.com.   They sold me a whole new puller, for less than Posi-Lok wanted for just the bolt, and the socket it threaded into.

0 Kudos