cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

I have some questions on bins and need your experience

Jump to solution

I have a couple of 14 ft 1000 bu bins that must be 30 years old and I  need to fix up this year.  Now I have a full aeration floors that are so warped and I need to clean it out.  When I put the bins in I just but them over a bed of sand  on top of a tarp.  The floor will not with stand  an other take apart so I can do some cleaning. I would never get it back together.  

What I would like to do is just pull the old floor out and lay 3 or 4 inches of concrete on the sand and then build a wood tunnel with maybe some side branches but I don't know.  I have one bin with a 16 inch 1 HP fan and the other is 3/4 HP.  Never had a problem with air but that was with a full floor to suck thru.  I have to suck or the inside will become a frosted mess. Has anyone out there done this or have any plans or ideas?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: I have some questions on bins and need your experience

Jump to solution

They must be 50 years old if they are that size. Do you really need the storage? At $.03/month storage cost you would be money ahead to store it commercially. Especially with the cost of concrete.

Maybe you are not in the USA???

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

They could be 50 years old.  I have used them for the last 10 years and I do need the storage and I'm in Alaska and that sort of puts me in a 3rd world country as far as Agriculture goes. There is no other way to store it or deal with it up here. So if I'm going to continue I need to fix the floor.  I figure 2 yards of concrete poured on the inside and a wood tunnel would be a lot cheaper and easier to clean than a steel floor.  I'm only going to fix one of them as I only do about 10 acres of oats and wouldn't have the market to grow more. 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

Didn't you ask this same question a couple of years ago?

My recommendation is to visit the web sites of northern university extension offices to see what they say about storing oats.  Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota and Canada.  They'll have info on how much air you have to move.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

I don't think it was the same question a few years ago.  As I remember that was about the fans.   I haven't had a problem with the amount of air going in the grain at least I haven't lost any so it must be working.  The question now is the best way to get air in the bin with a flat concrete floor.  I think I have an answer.  I was thinking of useing drainage pipe made for spectic systems  that use  no gravel in the trench.  I emailed the company  and asked them what they thought and turns out the make a pipe just for grain aeration both 10 and 12 inch.  they are sending me some information.  the company is ADS-pipe and they say a lot of people use it just for this grain aeration.  I never heard of it but there is a lot of stuff I never heard of.  Has any one out there used it?  If so let me know what you think.  Thanks 

0 Kudos
mn farm boy
Frequent Visitor

Jump to solution
x
0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

The plastic pipe should work pretty well.  I belive the co-op uses it under their temporary piles sometimes.  I do know that fumigators on ocean going vessels use 4 or 6 inch plastic pipe to recirculate phosphine gas through the grain to kill insects and

thats on a grain mass that's 50 to 60 feet deep in a hold of a ship.  Talk to the ADS rep.  he should be able to give you some good info on how big of tubing you need and what configuration you need in your bin.  You might want to put a T in and put a capped  upright in the center of the bin to make sure the center core stays cool.  The ADS rep. should be able to give you info on what they've seen and what seems to work well.

This summer I was helping clean out an old barn and came across several perferated tubes with fans at the top that they used to push down into grain wagons to keep them cool and thought about you.  Too bad Illinois isn't closer to Alaska, but I'm guessing the plastic is going to work better for you anyway. 

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Jump to solution

I but in an email into the rep but haven't heard back.  I'm to small get get thier attenchen.  I read somewhere if the bin is less than 18 ft you only need one line up the center but that doesn't give me a lot of holes to draw air thru.  I was hoping to get some info on building my own chanel. I wounder if I build a channel out of cement blocks leaving a channel 32 inches wide and a plywood top would work ? if I leave  inch gaps between the blocks  and covering with window screen to keep the grain out would work.  Or do you think the push of the grain will move the blocks into the channel?  There must be something someone has done that worked well.   

0 Kudos