cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Shop

Consider an overhead door.  I just finished a 50 x 90 Lesters Bldg w/18' sidewall and put a 30 x 16 overhead insulated door in the endwall.  NICE DOOR and doesn't have to push snow like the hydro door.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Are you talking of an overhead door running on tracks?  Snow shouldn't be an issue, I am planning on heated outdoor walks and approaches in front of all doors.  I have been told to place the outdoor heated concrete on a separate bank of the heating manifold so it can be isolated when not needed.  Maybe I cannot do this is risk of freezing and bursting the line.  Sounds like maybe I need to do some more homework.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Regarding doors..... This last year I was in a shop. 72 X 80 that had an 18 X 42 hydraulic door; the kind of door one that raises from the bottom and swings up to become like an awning in front of the shop. The PROBLEM WAS.... the door had to move about eight inches before it pulled away from the seal at the bottom, and THAT MOVEMENT pulled one heck of a vacuum inside the shop; enough to where a guy standing in a half-open man door got a pretty good swat as the man door (that opened out) tried to slam closed. The building was brand new and empty and you could hear the entire building creak from the negative pressure. I think if it was me I might opt for a bifold vertical door instead.....OR... make it to where there was a switch that cut off the hydraulic pump unless another big door was at least partially open. The way the cylinders were arranged on the 18 X 42 door, the speedy part of the stroke was just at the beginning, so the door moved fast right off the bat. Nedless to say, that vacuum problem was kind of a big surprise. Nobody had any idea it would be that severe. I suppose you could go from electric switches on the hydraulics to a regular hydraulic  valve that could be hand operated, and that way the operator could ease the door away until it broke the seal.

0 Kudos

With the overhead door it lifts vertically, with the hydro door it pushes out so you have to remove the snow before you open the door.  Not a good situation if your snow removal equipment is inside the building.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I have never given the vacuum issue a thought.  That is definitely something to consider.  As far as pushing snow in front of the door, that shouldn't be in issue in my situation since I will have outdoor approaches heated.  The awning effect of the hydro swing door was something I was really looking for.  Maybe a bifold door will be the way to go after all.  Do you know, are bifolds electric or are they hydraulic operated as well? 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I don't really know what the bi fold doors use for an opener, but there is one not very far away; I'll ask about it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have a Schweiss bifold.  It is electric.  The motor is mounted on the bottom of the door and goes up with the door.  To get your full ceiling height opening you need to be able to hang the topp hinge of the door two feet above ceiling height.  If you look on their websight they call that two feet wedge.  The wedge will vary by size of door.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Shop tips

Shaggy: Looks like you have had some good feedback here. How are you progressing with your planning? Anything you'd like to share?

If you're still looking for ideas, here's a compilation of some of our Top Shops slideshows, featuring award-winning farm shops, and tips from farmers:

http://www.agriculture.com/machinery/farm-shop/contest/top-tips-f-farm-shops_548-ar15225

Good luck with things!

John

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I have a 60 by 60 by 16 tall shop that sits on a 2' tall knee wall for an overall height of 18'.

I would definitely install knee braces between the poles and trusses. 

Now that I have had the building for 4 years, I am concerned because I hear a lot of creaking and growning when it is really windy.....I wonder if knee braces would help to eliminate this.  I don't know if you would have the concern with a building that had the poles going 5 feet into the ground.

I have a 30 by 16 over head door.  Wish I had put in a bifold - top panel of my door is beginning to sag when the door is open and doesn's seal up tight when the door is closed.  I can remedy this but I don't think you would have this trouble with a bifold or hydraulic door.

fwiw......

0 Kudos