cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Re: New Shop

I should have explained, our REC has an interruptable rate of about 4.6 cents per kilowatt. But there is a $6.00 per month service charge and the system can be interrupted to help keep peak usage down. We installed our 5 loops about 8 to 9 ft deep with an excavator. So far our fluid temps this summer have only raised about 6 degrees from 56 F to 62 F.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys.

I hadn't thought about the water heat pump idea for the shop. We have one in our house and energy bills are unbelievably low. We dug out dirt for fill around our garage approach thus making a small pond. We now dump the heat pump water from the house into that pond. The pond is right beside the sight for this small shop so the dumping of a heat pump from there would be just a short drainage tube. We are familiar with that process having our home heat pump now for 7 years. This would be much cheaper and simpler than a continuous loop.

Good idea, Weedman!

Still need estimates on the cost of a 40X60 shop with a cement floor. I hate to allert the salesmen on our project yet.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Hey Shaggy, don't let a little cold weather stop your project. started building my new shop mid Dec. 2009, finished mid April 2010. A few pics of the project.

006.1.JPG

009.JPG

011.JPG 

034.JPG

You would be surprised how much solar heat you get from a blue tarp on a sunny day, no BS.

039.JPG

Not quite done, my bulk oil is now overhead and the spill tray/oil filter drain, runs directly into the tank for my waste oil boiler.  

078.JPG

075.JPG

I know it's a long post, this section needed a little flavor. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Good looking building, what are the overall dimensions?

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

The main "work area" is about 80x50, the "utility area" is about 40x12 if I remeber correctly. 18' side wall on the main part.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

What are you guys doing about a paint booth or paint area in the shop?  I hate to get drift all over everything.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jim, There was a segment on the Machinery Show a while back that had the answer to that problem. The shop had a sliding curtain that surrounded a good-sized area; kind of like the curtain that separates two hospital beds in the same room; which cut the area off from the rest of the shop. It was also where the shop guys used their presure washer to blast equipment clean.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Not going to have a paint booth, I'm putting up a farm shop not a body shop or fabrication shop.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Shaggy you could go to the  "Lambrecht Chevy " auction in Pierce Nebraska and put some brand new 50's  & 60's equipment in it ---you tube it  as I think it will make for  some coffee time  ---

0 Kudos