cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: New bin size advise

You might see if you could figure out how to mount a use 62' auger or even a 71' and leave it there.  Couldn't cost more than a leg, could it?  That way, you would only have to finagle it one time.

Also, it would probably be a big mess, but you could go in the side of the roof as high as you could reach.  Would be a lot of monkey business and may have to put a chute in there and may be hard to use a spreader.  I'm just saying, where there is a will, there is a way.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

What about a roof auger?   I've seen them around, but never had any experience with them personally.   The ones I have seen, bring the grain from above the eave, to the peak.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Re: New bin size advice

Air moves corn too. Just saying might be worth looking into.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

According to some internet research, you could use your 61' auger on a 42' diameter bin 7 rings high that would hold about 25,000 bushels.

I got  the bin sizes from the GSI bin company tables which show capacity for various diameters and heights.

http://www.grainsystems.com/farm/storage/farmgrainbins.php

For your example, I chose a gin height of 18.6 feet (;7 rings) because I have similiar height bins and can reach them with a 61' auger.

For that height, the diameter you need for the volume you want is 42'.  That comes right from the chart.  You can look at all the charts and see if there is a diameter and size you like better.

Once I had those dimensions, I went to the Westfield site where there was a calculator that would give the minimum auger length required for an eave height and diameter.  

http://www.grainaugers.com/agcalc.htm

Here are some other tables that show auger lengths, capacities, reach, height and so forth.

http://www.grainaugers.com/_uploads/Westfield/Products/41_MK-Specs1.png

There are, of course, other factors to consider.  The auger diameter has a lot to do with how fast you move the grain, as does the pitch.  Bigger augers at a steeper angle are going to take a fair sized tractor.  

It's hard to find any firm figures on power requirements.  This Oklahoma State study explains all the variabls such as pitch, size, speed, moisture and so forth.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2170/BAE-1105web.pdf

South Dakota State has a study, as well.

http://www.sdstate.edu/abe/research/power/upload/Auger-analysis-2006-No-066043.pdf

My own experience is I need more power than the experts tell me I need.

You'll see in the studies that you lose capacity as you get steeper.  I don't know the facts, but at some point it may be better to have a longer, auger than a shorter, bigger one.  The charts may tell.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I do like the idea of air. It seems a little slow and expensive. Maybe if I had a dryer with a wet holding bin it would work nicely to move grain from the wet bin to the dryer and from the dryer to the storage bins. Not ready to spend that kind of money yet.
Jim I did study those charts a little and am going to talk to my dealer soon. Talking about power to run an auger. I like to use my Deere 2510 (55 hp) to run a 10x 62 swing away. If I fill it up it starts to blow some black smoke. I just close the chute on the truck a little. I'm on 7 ring bins now so I'm not pushing it to high or steep and my corn is usually pretty dry.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I run my Westfield 10C61 with a 54 hp 1550 Oliver diesel and I can kill it if I load it up with wet corn on a steep climb.  Usually, it hand'es it fine.

The only thing with a smaller engine is you have to rev it up to get the horsepower and I don't like to run the auger all that fast.  So, a bigger tractor can run a little slower annd stil develop the horsepower if the capacity is enough at the slower speed.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I don't know jack about 20K bins, but on a 50K bin we used a 71ft westfield auger to reach the eaves, where it dumped into a roof auger which must have been 25 or more feet long. Never had a problem with the roof auger at all.   Just sayin . . . John

0 Kudos
FrantBK
Friend

Re: IRe: New bin size advise

After reading in the Oct, vol 111 issue of Successful Farming: Bin Advise.  There is one more option to consider.  The invesrse of the roof auger. Lay down a concert pad that lifts the aguer to the proper height of the bin. Then use a short aguer at ground level to feed the 61 foot auger.  If anything goes wrong both augers are at ground level and easy to work on.

While I agree with Jim Meade that a 42 foot bin would be the better choice.  The question not asked was how many inside bin unloading floor augers do you already have?  Most farmers in Central Illinois have two-to-three different augers because of the three different size bins they have.  Do you have room for another one?

Another question not asked is: do you have two smaller bins close together?  If so why not take down the two and add concert to turn the two into one of a much larger diameter bin.  Two bins are removed from the tax bill and one new one is added.  Where if you are being tax on two bins you will be taxed on three bins after the new one is built.  Run the numbers on the support cost of the three fans v. one fan and all of the support equipment.  You could size the bin to the total bushels for storage and the 62 foot auger.

Just my 2 cents

0 Kudos