cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

One more electrical question

So I found the repair kits for the 1/0 underground broken aluminum cable and thought that was almost done.  When I stated cutting the cable I kept finding corrosion down the center of the cables on the out side or the strands of wire.  The outside alum. wires look clean but when I peal them back to look inside I find a tan color crystal material.  The question is do I need to keep going or is it OK to leave some of this stuff in the wire as long as the out side wires are clean and bright.  I hate to put it all together just to do it again.  I've cut back three feet from the break and the tan stuff is still there.  On the cable that didn't burn it looks bright alum. all the way so I know that must be from the break.  Cut or not to cut some more???

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: One more electrical question

If you can wait a few days I'll true to check with someone who knows more about this stuff than I do. I don't have much experience with Aluminum.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I can wait.  Ask him also if the cable is leaking to ground, shouldn't we be able to find out its leaking  with a clamp on amp meter?   I must of run a lot of electricity to ground over time.  Seems to me I should of picked up this leak on my electric bill.  I temporally  but the wires  together yesterday just to see if what was left under ground would pull enough amps to run a motor. Both legs pulled  the same 8.7amps  and ran the motor, so I guess that at least it tells  me it will work for a while.  I asked someone that should know and they said I should be fine but he wasn't sure with the alum wire either.  He knew about the white dust but didn't know about the granular sugar stuff I was trying to explain.  I cut another foot out and it looks cleaner now.   When the rain stops  I figure I will just but it together and not cover it for a few days so I can feel the cable for heat after running 24 hours.  Let me know what you find out and thanks.  Then we will know for future problems. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The guy I was wanting to talk to was on vacation. And I haven't been called in since he got back.
0 Kudos