cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reader

Repairing auger tubing with pop rivits

I have a New Holland 55 Mix-all that has a rusted out hole in the auger tubing coming from the mixing chamber.   A friend, not a farmer, suggested I pop rivit a piece of sheet metal over it.  I haven't used pop rivits before and was wondering if there would be enough clearance on the inside of the tube for the auger.  I was considering using auto body bondo and he suggested pop riviting. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Repairing auger tubing with pop rivits

I do not think the pop rivits would last very long if grain is sliding over them.  I would bend a piece of steel (or sheet metal) to match the metal around it, then I would tack-weld it in place and then seal the edges if needed with silicon.

Just my $0.02

Jon 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Repairing auger tubing with pop rivets

I would also be concerned with clearance.   The suggested tack welding on a steel patch is the best solution, but using a couple large hose clamps or wrapping wire around to retain the patch would work, but isn't as elegant

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Reader

If I had a welder tack welding a piece of sheet metal on it would be a good solution.  Maybe I have to buy one of those cheepo 115 volt welders,   The auger tube I'm trying to patch is welded to the tank of the mixer.   I thought about that sheet metal and hose clamp idea for a smaller hole on the longer discharge auger that has a small hole.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Take it to the welding shop to get it patched if you don't have a welder. Grinders are usually thin and rusty from wear, these are not the best conditions to learn how to weld.

Go to the lumberyard and get some stick-on flashing. Clean the area with a wire brush and then wait until a warm day and apply the patch. This worked on the 12" unloading auger of our neighbor's grain cart for the last 2 years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Reader

My grinder's auger tube was too thin for my old stick welder so I used a piece of thin steel and  JB welded it on there thats been about 5 years ago and still holding strong used zip ties to hold it while the JB weld was drying

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

another suggestion we used to do on headers when they would develop a whole in them....  You could get fiberglass and resin and make a fiberglass patch on it.  Never tried it on an auger, but it sould work.

The JB weld idea mention above was pretty good also... (thats what reminded me of the fiberglass.)

Jon

0 Kudos