cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Running exhaust pipe for heater with powered exhaust?

I purchased a new 45,000 BTU Mr. Heater brand hanging LP heater. This heater is to be installed in a small wood working shop that is 100 feet away from our house or any other building. The heater has a power exhaust and the instructions allow for either vertical or horizontal exhaust venting. I will be mounting the heater up near the sub-ceiling and one foot away from an exterior wall. I will be installing a horizontal exhaust using a 3 foot long piece of 4 inch schedule B pipe with an exhaust cap on the end outside. The instruction sheet says to use a minimum of 3 foot of pipe when exhausting horizontally. The instructions say a horizontal exhaust pipe should run uphill 1/4 inch per foot as it exits the building and that you should install a drip line on the exhaust pipe inside the building. Why can a person not run the exhaust level as this would seem to lessen the chance for moisture running down the pipe in towards the heater? Is the drip line really necessary? I would rather run the pipe level or tilt it slightly down hill as it exits the building and put a bucket below outside to catch any dripping which would otherwise fall onto the wife's flower bed. Not sure if they worry if the exhaust pipe runs down hill that it could freeze closed and be a concern for carbon dioxide posioning? TIA

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Running exhaust pipe for heater with powered exhaust?

I don't know the answer but suppose a good plumbing and heating shop might.  I'd be a little leery of changing the instructions, although I will admit it might be to comply with some code that is not universal.  I tried to find out something online and my search didn't give any answers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I tried the two local heating shops for an answer while in town yesterday but no one knowledgable was in at the time.  Funny thing is the Mr. Heater instruction booklet clearly mentions the use of a drip line on a horizontal exhaust run but today while at Fleet Farm where I bought the heater I looked inside the box of an exhaust kit sold by Mr Heater specifically for use as a horizontal exhaust run for my model heater.  It had all the required schedule B exhaust pipe, elbow, wall thimble and cap but there was nothing included for a drip line and nothing mentioned in the instruction sheet that came with the exhaust kit. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

It might be a  gov't. mandated part of the instructions.   Ask a qualified expert in the heating field.

0 Kudos