cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Scrap Iron Pile

How big is your scrap iron pile, or should I say "salvage" iron, the stuff  you keep around thinking you will use it for bracing or repurposing?  I think our pile will be shrinking soon, we have an old grainery foundation that is lined from one end to the other with all different sizes shapes and lengths but I haven't actually used anything off there in many years and $400 a ton is looking pretty good.  Any of you save pulleys or axle hubs too?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Scrap Iron Pile

I save dang near anything that has a chance of being useful.  Comes from being a tinkerer, as well as the 'i might need this someday' thought.  With the machinery I run, i need repair iron.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Pretty small pile and it is inside.  Don't like to have a bunch of stuff laying around rusting.  Less than 15 miles due east is a family owned machine/blacksmith shop that maintains a good store of new iron and will sell it at their cost to frequent customers and will also order stuff.  Much more pleasant to use new iron and you can use exactly what is needed when means the project or repair likely looks a good deal better.    Can't justify buying new machinery but spending a few more dollars so it doesn't look like it is one step from the scrap yard isn't too difficult.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

My pile is very minimal (it would all fit in a 55 gallon drum).  I figured out that having a neat and orderly yard helps deter thieves and vandals.  Plus, if I need something, I've got several manufacturing facilities within 20 miles and they've always had what I needed on hand stored inside so no rust is present.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

The pile is surprisingly small as compared to what I used to keep around. Of course I save all the useful shapes like angle and channel, no matter how small they are, and also try to save a few sizes of heavy pipe, like center pole from a wagon, if they happen to become scrap. I have a few pieces of 3/8" plate that I have been cutting shapes out of for several years. There is a good sized steel works twelve miles away that I maintain a good relationship with. They have an extensive rack of cut-offs that I can buy at a discount if i need something. I finally got myself to quit keeping junk machinery in the hopes that some part might prove vital at a later date. The farm looks a lot better since I quit doing that.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Our price for scap iron is much less than $400 per ton.  I'm in NW Iowa.  Where is the $400 price??    jps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

yeah! a month ago I got 205 for a mixed load. that was the unprepared price.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Prepared NW MN.  I prepare everything except bin sheets and other sheeting.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

My scrap has been going to the salvage yard lately.  I don't do hardly any building and not all that much heavy repair, so I usuallyl just buy the pieces that I need.  Not much left, just a few machines I have to strip and ship.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Hi, MVP and all: Thanks for developing this thread of discussion. It inspired me to work up a story for the main website: Scrap iron 'beauty' in the eye of the beholder.

Mainly it's a mash-up of your good input.  I added some pricing info, and  think  you might enjoy the photo.

Thanks again, and happy scrappin'.

JW

0 Kudos