cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Friend

Re: Scrap Iron Pile

I would like to know too! It's $.13 lb, $260 ton here in Central Arkansas. Hardly pay for acetylene, labor and fuel to haul it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

My family heritage has passed to me a long line of being pack rats. You can tuck a bunch of stuff behind barns or back in the woods out of sight. We save everything that could ever be reused for anything. Old bearings, flighting, chisel points, sweeps, bent or rusted beyond repair stuff gets junked, but the rest is kept. Axles, gearboxes, pipe, old shank assemblies, used disc blades, auger tubes and hardware, and all sheet metal can be reused for many things. My grandpa had a mountain of junk we inherited. We had old livestock equipment, fence, horse drawn junk, posts, etc. It took 2 weeks of hauling with a straight truck to haul it off. He was sitting on just under $5000 of junk laying around!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I live on the farm that my grandparents had. I have 70 years worth of old machinery and scrap in the grove. I have always called it my "savings" account. When prices get good I'll haul some in and buy tools, and the like for the shop. With the winter we have had and the wind that came through this summer and leveled a bunch of trees in the grove I decided to go all ou this winter on cleaning. I wanted to get a new auto steer for our planter tractor, so we started hauling. So far I have paid for over half of the new system. I hate clutter and it is away from where people can see it so it sort of just stayed until I want to get something. Thanks Grandpa!!!!!!! BTW last week sold in NC iowa for $325.00 ton

Highlighted
Contributor

Auto steer is really the way to go. One unintended consequence is that when you are ready to break through to cut out a new block you have a devil of a time finding where a set of rows begins and ends. The last two years we have also used auto steer for cutting soybeans. It really saves fatigue, and an added benefit besides using ALL of the header is that we can set just a little angle to the rows and that way each section in the sickle does its fair share of cutting. Helps balance out the wear. Our JD tractor dealer made a wiring kit for us that leap-frogged the JD auto steer to our red combine. There is a servo/steering wheel setup that takes the place of the IH steering wheel, so when you look down you see a jumping deer in the center of the wheel.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I was born to a metal wizard.  Could build it as needed and kept potential on hand.  We have enough on hand to keep us busy and at these prices we won't get it loaded fast enough.  Times have changed for us.  Iron doesn't kill the weeds like it used to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

You're welcome for the idea John.  If this winter holds out like this my march house remodeling might turn into a full time scrap iron operation since I don't have a wife to make happy but I do have a mother that enjoys having less junk around. Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I would like to know just where all of this iron is going.  Industrial production here sure isn't going whole hog and I'm sure China's industry has had a down turn without us buying all their stuff.  A few years ago salvage yards around here wouldn't buy old galvanized roofing or fencing, now they do.  A tornado came through a few years ago and scattered roofing around my pasture.  I finally got around to hauling it off and I got $190 for a couple of hours work.  I prefer to think that leaving that stuff laying around my pasture was actually good market planning and not having too many thing to do and not enough time to do it.    

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would guess China.   jps

0 Kudos