cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Slide Hammer?

Slide hammers are advertsised from $20 to $400.  What are the features to look at for a general, light use slide hammer?  How heavy a slide?  What size rod?  What attachments are most used?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Slide Hammer?

I have three of them I use in the shop, one is a 'heavy' Harbor freight one, on a 'light' Snap-On, and the third is a Posi-Lock with slide hammer.  They are all designed for different uses. 

First, you need to decide what you are going to use it for, and then go accordingly.

For pulling bearing races out of axles, and the like, for the most part, the heavier the better, but if you don't NEED a heavy hammer, it is more weight to carry around, and more unwieldy.  I would say a 5# slide is good for that sort of thing, maybe 10# if you are working on big stuff.

The Snap-On is the one I use the most, because it has a seal puller with it.  Lets you pull a seal out of a gearbox, without taking anything else apart, just remove the pulley of sprocket off the shaft, smooth it over so it won't cut the new seal, pop the old one out, and tap the new one in.  It has saved many hours of disassembly in instances where a seal leaked, but the bearings behind it were still tight.

The Posi-Lock one, is just like a Posi-Lock puller, but with a hammer instead of a pulling screw.  I have one with both internal and external jaws.

For pulling seals and the like, 2# is sufficient. 

About the handiest thing, are the locking pliers, that you can attatch a slide hammer to.  Works great for pulling out jib keys, or even cotter pins that are hard to reach or being stubborn.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jim, I had a hard time finding a slide hammer locally. Had a 3 #er, not heavy enough to pull roof nails on our pole building. May have used Harbor Freight.  Used  the hammer in conjunction with the old vise grip.  Ground the jaws sharp and pulled all the nails on our 60x120 shed.  Put screws in, I think this probably saved the building!!  How are you doing, by the way?  jps  @Sanborn Iowa previous owner of a neet 1855 Oliver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I'm doing OK.  Had a combine problem but got running again today.  I have 2 1855's, a 1755 with an 1855 engine, and a 1550, all diesels.  Hope they start tomorrow.  Smiley Happy

I think at my age I'll just keep fixing them up. 

I had a use for a slide hammer today.  I guess it's something one just b uys to have on hand.  Maybe a Christmas present.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos