cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Soybean bridging

Anyone else have problems with beans bridging above the unload auger in a bin?  Other than "don't cut em green" is there a fix for a problem we have faced for a couple of years??

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Soybean bridging

I haven't had this problem but I vac my beans out and dry them with a fan to 13% if they are wet.  I don't see much literature with good suggestions on how to break up a crust that brdges over.  Of course, you know you can try to poke a rod down but if the bean are very deep that probably won't work.  Good luck on solving your problem.  Many years ago I had that happen a couple of times and I empathize with you - it is no fun.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

we have had the issue two years in a row.  We have changed personel on the combines and I have a promise we will stop sending green edges to the bin.  I am hoping those green pods will stop and the problem will improve.

We have augers and suction tubes for backup.  We have had to run the air vac tractor to get past the problem.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Just curious, do you see a worse problem if you have a lot of fines or does that matter?  Do you run a fan while filling to try to disperse the fines?  Do you use a spreader to even out the fines?  Do you run a fan to cool down after filling?  I run a small fan for about a week.  I don't know if any of this matters.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

jim,

We have a paddle drag that delivers from dump pit to the leg(short distance).  

Bin 24K with 5K pit.  10 inch auger on steep elevation for unloading.  Strong air---updraft.

Seldom have much fines.  Hulls yes

usually run air for at least a week depending on moisture at harvest.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

sw - Yes I have had that problem once or twice - My problem was it was the first load or so getting the machine set up - pods would build up over the sump in the bin - Now I am there the first load or so IF I know I have to many pods in the first load - I have run the fans to try and help blow them around - really don't know if it helped any - the best thing I done was just get in there with a shovel and dig the pods out over the hole and throw them to the outside then shovel in clean beans back in - don't take much to do - just the time - but what is a few minutes loading vs. cuseing when it plugs up - lol Hope this helps -- some

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

ours happens after we have loaded several loads.  Then we plugoff and have to vacume out another tube.

But I think you are right.  It is green pods --- when we change fields in the middle of the bin and the edges are greener than the rest of the field.  We have not been particular about leaving those out or waiting on them to get ready.  It does not take many.

We never get docked for them, but it is a mess when the bin is 3/4 full and they bridge the auger.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I use the same trick as ole ECI in all my bins. But that has nothing to do with your problem from the sounds of it. I wonder if you could install one of those vibration things that you see under some hopper trailers? Put it under the floor at the sump and just plug it in when needed.
How much bug pressure do you have on outer edges of fields? Here I get anywhere between none to maybe a 5 ft wide green strip. Swing a spray boom over the edge and hit the beans with paraquat a week before harvest? Seems like a good job for a kid on an ATV to spray after school in the evenings. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Long creek that would shure help.

Our green edge is a water issue.  the edge doesn't get as much water and deals with heat and wind so it is late and smaller.

The spray trip would help.

0 Kudos