cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Tools for the shop

Laurie Potter here with Successful Farming. Looking for some guidance on the tools that we feature in the magazine and on the television show.

Are there certain tools for the shop and around the farm that you'd like to learn more about? For example, our November Buyer's Guide is about automotive tools. I'll likely choose one particular tool and focus in on it. Is learning about the variety of automotive tools helpful or are there other areas that need attention?

What do you look for in a new tool. . . durability, price, how it will it make a difference when repairing a piece of equipment on the farm, how the tool was developed/the technology behind the tool?

Thanks for your input!

Laurie

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Tools for the shop

Laurie,
As more and more farmers do heavy work on their own equipment, I'm interested in tools to handle the machinery. Floor stands, jacks, hoists, cranes and so forth.
When looking at a tool, my first goal is that it do the job. Next, I usually want quality. I will pay more for a good quality rather than a throw-away tool, but I will seldom pay top dollar for something like Snap-On or Mac when Craftsman is usually OK.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I am getting tired of paying someone to charge my Air Conditioning units on my tractors and combine,  I am looking to buy the tools to do it myself,  but it's a little confusing with the R12, 134a, etc.

As for what I look for in a new tool,  the main thing I try to buy from local places that can help me if there is a problem,  or for repairs down the road.  I have made a promise to myslef to never buy the bargain bin tools again,  the don't last,  no one has replacement parts for them,  and they are not safe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I'm interested in hydraulic presses.  How to build one yourself or ones to buy.  I'm getting tired of pounding out and replacing bearings etc with a hammer and a socket.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

251i59DE08BD2B1624C9One of the most revolutionary thing to come along is the professional grade battery drills and saws, the flashlights for these are almost priceless too. We have the 28V ions, so useful we have 4 drills, do all kinds of things we wouldn't even have imagined a while back. They work so well I have use my corded ones about twice in the last several years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

252i0E8254BA348F6FE5

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

253iDC2C9997951343DD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

even ice auger.254iA9A90CB44983AA63

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

You can buy an A/C recharging kit at local auto supply store relatively cheap.  Under 20 bucks.   Cans of freon are 6 or 7 bucks at wal mart.  This is for 134A.   The old type freon is expensive and not available to just anyone.

0 Kudos