cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jd730

Welder/ generator ?

I have a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150 welder. I was wondering what size of generator would be needed to run this machine.  The tag on the welder shows 60Hz and 47 amps.  It would be used to put up a metal building and build a corral, after that only for the occasional repair that can't be brought to the welder.  Is this a reasonable idea or asking for trouble?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Welder/ generator ?

I think the formaula is watts = V X A

W = 220 X 47

W = 10,340 so you need a "10k" generator.

I don't know if  you need to get an oversize one or if 10k will carry it.

Prices vary quite a bit.

Can you rent it for the work you want to do?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Generators are usually rated by 'peak' power output, and 'continuous' power output.  For running a standard arc welder, if your neighbor has one you can borrow, that it a little under (say 8K continuous) you should be OK, because arc welders are not continuous duty on their higher settings anyway, most taper off to 20 or 30% when on the highest settings.  However, if I were buying one, I'd look to a bigger one, like a 15-17K continuous, and use it as a standby for the house.

I have a 15K continuous (17.5K peak), and it will run the submersible well to water livestock, plus the heater coils on a couple Ritchie waterers, plus most of the house, as long as we use common sense (use major appliances like the oven or dryer one at a time).  Note that we have propane heat and water heating, or we'd need a bigger generator.  Just be very sure to get a proper switch box if you use it for backup for the house, so you don't backfeed power through the down lines and zap a lineworker.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I had the same idea a few months back but have decided to get a portable welder with generator. I'm going back and forth between Miller Bobcat and Lincoln Ranger. The newer ones have close to 10k generators. Now my delema is to get a service truck or build a service trailer that I can pull only when needed
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

If you have it in a trailer, and suffer a power outage, you can unhook it where you need the generator, and still drive the truck around. My cousin does service work, and he has a welder/generator/air compressor. A great idea, but pricey if you want one of any capacity.
0 Kudos

If given a choice I'd say the Miller. Most industries use Millers.

I've had a Miller AE/AD for over 25 yrs and never had a problem with the welder part yet. Had problems with mud daubers building nest in the muffle though!

0 Kudos