cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Welder woes

Jump to solution

I have a Millermatic 212 which I use very rarely and am not very good at.  I have a couple of questions for the experienced welders.

1.  It seems like I too often weld the wire into the gun so I have to grind it off to free it so it feeds again.  Does this sound like a wrong setting (like too slow wire speed) or wrong technique or what should I change/

2.  The wire seems to feed jerky to me, and the spool seems tight.  Is there some adjustment to make so the wire feeds smoothly?  I assume it should feed smooth.

I enjoy the welder and am using it more and more, but have a lot to learn (and right now I'm too busy to go to any schools).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: Welder woes

Jump to solution

Ihave a millermatic 185, I had to take the spring tension clear off the shaft the spool rides on & tighten the spring on the feed rolls, also I would try a completely new tip as I find they never work as good once they have been stuck. Try more wire speed & keep your tip farther away from what your welding. I don't know if your dials are the same but I weld 90% of the time with heat on #4 & about 55 wire speed.

Contributor

Jump to solution
You only want enough tension on spool to keep it from unwinding freely. I agree, hold tip farther away. Good luck
Contributor

Jump to solution

You definitely don't want the spool of wire to tight, it should move freely.

Also you might try putting more tension on the feeder drive rolls but not so much that you flatten the wire.

You probably should replace the contact tip, they are pretty cheap so I like to use a new one for every job.

It is also important to keep the contact tip between 3/8 and 1/2 an inch away from the piece you are welding on. If you touch the tip to the piece you are welding on and freeze the wire you need to replace the tip .

There are Meany things that could be going on, make sure  you have the amps and the wire speed set correctly it will sound like frying eggs when you have it set right.

Well this is starting to get wordy, let us know if it works for you.

Jared.

Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Replacing the tip did the trick.  Thanks to those of you who suggested it.  I'm still learning.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

Jim, Is there a voacational/technical school near you where you could attend over the winter?  A few lessons from a pro may help a lot.  BTW   I"m a believer that there are 3 kinds of people.  Welders and non-welders like procat and anti cat people.  I know which group I am in so I have my son do the welding.  I bought a used like new Lincoln 215 for $750.  He says it's the best he's ever used.  Now he wants a spool gun for welding aluminum.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

I bought an auto-darkening welding helmet yesterday.  Can't wait to try it out.  But have to wait to next week after I give it to my son for his birthday.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Have you tried to replace the liner in the gun? It resembles a choke cable and is between the feed rolls and the gun. If any rust or trash get inside it will cause all kinds of havoc and have you inventing some new cuss words. You can get them at a good welding supply shop. Also check your spool for rust, this will also give you fits!

Hope this helps!  

0 Kudos