cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

electric trailer brakes

Are trailer brakes on a tandem axle trailer wired in series or parallel or ????

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: electric trailer brakes

They'd have to be wired in parallel.  If wired in series when something happened to one, all others could fail, just like the old style Christmas tree lights.

What ain't they doing?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I only ask because if I loose a wire on one brake they all quit.  I've got one trailer that we put probably 40,000 or 50,000 miles a year on.  I rewired all the lights to the point they are reliable.  I ran all new wires inside waterproof conduit and soldered all the connections.  Did I mention I'm not a fan of 12 volt electrical systems?  I was just asking cause I'm thinking about completely rewiring the brakes also inside waterproof conduit and soldering all the connections.  Just wondering how the brakes worked cause the wires don't look parallel to me but I haven't chased them down too far yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

If a wire goes from the connector to the hot terminal on the first axle and then to the hot terminal on the second axle, they are wired in parallel.  They probably ground through the frame.

If you lose a wire in front of the 1st brake, both brakes on that side will lose power.  If you lose only the second brake, the problem is after the 1st one.  If you lose all brakes (both sides), the problem is clear up by the connector before the brake wires Y with one branch going down each side.

One good way to fix 12v circuits is to add a wired, dedicated ground instead of relying on ground coming back through the frame.

Soldering is good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I asked because I've got two brakes with single wires coming to them.  I haven't went and looked to see if I've got extra wires hooked together elsewhere.  I've done the whole soldered connections with dedicated ground all in waterproof conduit for the lights.  I'm going to do the same thing for brakes.  I was assuming brakes have both a hot and ground on each brake with the two wires?  But then I have two brakes out of four hubs that only have a single set of wires coming up to them so I thought maybe somehow the brakes are ran in series to even out the braking.  I guess it doesn't really matter as long as I wire them up the same.  How do most people protect those wires coming out of the hubs?  That is where most of my brakes in the wires have occurred.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

since we are one trailer brakes,, ever since I had to install new axels on my grain trailer ,one side brakes harder than the other what could be the problem, I cann't see anything wrong inside the drum set up or the wiring, I left the wiring the same as the old axels.  some one please help.......frwed

@belarus wrote:

I asked because I've got two brakes with single wires coming to them.  I haven't went and looked to see if I've got extra wires hooked together elsewhere.  I've done the whole soldered connections with dedicated ground all in waterproof conduit for the lights.  I'm going to do the same thing for brakes.  I was assuming brakes have both a hot and ground on each brake with the two wires?  But then I have two brakes out of four hubs that only have a single set of wires coming up to them so I thought maybe somehow the brakes are ran in series to even out the braking.  I guess it doesn't really matter as long as I wire them up the same.  How do most people protect those wires coming out of the hubs?  That is where most of my brakes in the wires have occurred.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

are you talking about electric brakes?  Must be one is getting more juice than the other.  Some adjustment can be made?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Sounds like a resistance to current flow to me.  Someone needs to do some testing with an ohm meter that knows what the readings mean.  O would think that the magnet has to have a connection to ground and not necessarily though a wire.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Reader

Dexter has a lot of info and diagrams available on line about their electric trailer brakes and I think they are all similar. 

And they are all generally a PITA with some weird malfunction when you need the trailer.

You may have to root around on their site to find the maintenance instructions.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/faq_s

0 Kudos