cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Friend

shop ceiling 26 gauge or 29 gauge

My rafters are on 8 foot centers.   I have been told that a 26 gauge well ribbed sheet of steel will span the 8 foot without using any nailers.   (I define the nailer as a 2x4 fastened to the bottom edge of the bottom chord of the rafter)   This includes insulation on top.  I'd assume stitch screws in the seams.  When you read this understand that the steel must have an aggressive rib to add strength.

If I use 29 gauge steel, even with the same ribbed profile,  then I should use the nailers.

Have any of you NOT used the nailers in your ceiling?  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: shop ceiling 26 gauge or 29 gauge

I don't know for sure what 29 ga can span but I would think a good lumber yard could tell you.  I can tell you that the thicker the steel gets,  the softer it gets.  It has to be softer to run through the die rollers that form it.  Morton is big about telling how their steel is thicker than the others,  but it is also softer,  so you have to be carefull when walking on the roof as it bends easier.  It will  also dent easier in a hail storm. 

Is it better to have thicker,  softer steel vs. thinner, harder steel?  I don't think it's worth the extra money.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

No nailers on my 8' centers, but I don't remember the gauge of the steel.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

i did not use nailers on my shop. I have a morton shop and they said i did not need nailers. My posts are set on 7 foot, 6 inch centers i believe. I bought the steel from menards but do not know the gauge.then put 16 inches of blown in insulation above it.  it was quite a job , i did it all myself but  am glad i did it. so far all sheets are still up there and no problems.

0 Kudos